Kayak Fishing Club of the Palm Beaches Message Board › Ascend D10 sit-in

Ascend D10 sit-in

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi guys, so I'm pretty new to kayaking. This is going to be my first one and I've been doing research, but I'm not 100% sure on what to get and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I'm really interested in the Ascend D10 sit-in kayak; does anyone have experience with this kind? And also, what is the preference between sit-ins and sit-ons? I just want to make sure I make the right decision before investing in one. Thank you!!! (:
A former member
Post #: 16
Hi Amanda. Welcome to the group. You've come to the right place to seek knowledge on Kayak Fishing. I will tell you that everyone has their own preference, as you will too. My suggestion is, read all the feedback given to you, and review previous discussions. You will find quite a bit of info. just from this site. Then, make your educated decision. I have done my fair share of research, and I believe that you are wise to gain more knowledge before making the investment. Feel free to contact me anytime with any questions you may have. My info. is on the "Phone List" discussion.
To answer your question... Personally, I would go with a SOT Kayak. Reason being; the recovery is much easier. Reference "Youtube" on recovery for both types. you will see that a SOT is much easier/better than a SIK. A SOT is self-bailing. Whereas, the SIK needs to be emptied/bailed manually. Thus, getting you back into the safety of your kayak faster.
Scott R.
KayakKowboy
Jupiter, FL
Post #: 26
Hi Amanda
Nice to have you aboard. Keep doing your research and also analyze your kayaking intent. More for recreational purposes or more for fishing? If it's more for fishing, go for maximum stability. Hull design will play a big part here as a round bottom will be less stable and a twin or tri-hull style will give you the maximum stability. I would focus on a SOT (sit on top) and keep in mind your body size. Because I am 6'2" and 230 lbs, I require a wider kayak vs someone smaller that can go shorter and narrower. Budget will play a huge part in your purchase and what is available at the price point you budget. You can demo any of the Kayaks sold at Adventure Kayak on N Lake Blvd to get a feel for what you are comfortable in. Try to navigate some boat wakes and wind with each one you demo. You can try our club Kayak from Lifetime sold at Sports Authority on sale at about 300.00 on sale. Very stable. I am on the phone list, so feel free to call and I will help as much as I can. Plenty more to add to this, but a call would make it simple.

Scott
Rick T.
user 10476751
Stuart, FL
Post #: 11
I'm not sure of the kayak stores in your area, but most small shops will let you test drive em before you buy them. where as sports authority, Dick's, Bass pro shops may not. I think a sit on is a much better option. most sit on's have drain plugs, if u take a wake. where as a, as i like to call em ( swim in ) sit in does not. sit on also have dry storage in front and storage in back for all your fishing gear. After you test out both options, i would check Craig's list also. I have heard of some good deals on there. C U on the water soon...Rick..
Paul S.
PaulS49
Pompano Beach, FL
Post #: 9
Adventure Times Kayak in West Palm Beach is a sales facility and a rental facility. They are right on the water. If you let them know that your looking to buy I'm sure they will let you test drive a few.
David A.
David_A.
Group Organizer
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 267
Hi Amanda. I have six kayaks and have been canoeing and kayaking since the 1950's. A sit-in kayak with a skirt is the safest kayak on the water. This club is about kayak fishing and having a skirt connecting you and the kayak really gets in the way of fishing and without the skirt, the sit-on kayak is much, much safer. Also the weather here in South Florida usually makes a sit-on more comfortable except for a few winter months. However, the Ascend D10 sit-in kayak is a very impressive stable kayak and not that expensive either. As you have already seen, we have a lot of experience in out club and our members can be very helpful. There are a number of members that will allow you to use one of their kayaks too. My number is public so you may also call me if you want (561) 683-8933.