Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › Relocating to Pittsburgh!

Relocating to Pittsburgh!

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone, my name is Eric. I recently joined the group, and wanted to post a quick intro. I've been living in Florida for many years, and will be relocating to Pittsburgh in July / August. Kayaking is one of my main hobbies, so I thought I'd preemptively join a local 'yak group to get a feel for the area - best places to go, etc.

I have a kayaking blog that I haven't updated in a while, if you're interested in my past Florida kayaking adventures: Yak Chronicle
I thought it might be easier for me to update a facebook page instead, so I recently started one: The Revived Outdoorsman. I recently posted about a trip down our local Silver River, complete with Rhesus Monkey sightings.

I'm super excited about discovering new kayaking adventures in the Pittsburgh area!
Janet K
user 10208753
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 74
Welcome, Eric- there's lots to explore!
Ben S.
user 37256282
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 18
Hello Eric,

There are many beautiful streams to kayak in the area. I live in Wheeling, and have three that I like within a twenty minutes drive. I do not care for the rivers or lakes as much as the streams.

Except for Linda and Mike's outings, there doesn't seem to be a lot of activities within this group. The water in the streams gets low after June so it is kind of a March thru June activity. I am looking to get the boat out more often so get in touch with me when you are in the area. I could paddle several times a week.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for the offer, Ben! Sadly I won't be up there until mid-July, but I won't have my 'yak until probably mid-August, unfortunately. I'm used to kayaking pretty much all year, so it's going to definitely be an adjustment for me. I may have to settle for the rivers and lakes to get my fix! :)

A former member
Post #: 5
The Youghioheney river has a minimal flow that will allow you to paddle most of the year (if you'd like). Here's a link to the info and maps: http://www.pecpa.org/...­. I didn't find this for a couple of years after moving here, but have biked and kayaked most of it. Get a guide for sections with rapids rated higher than you are comfortable with.