addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › A good roof rack?

A good roof rack?

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi everybody,
I just purchased a kayak this past Monday night, and was just wondering what a good roof rack to haul it would be for my car, a 2012 Ford Focus. Any tips/advice on this is appreciated. Thank you very much and God bless.
A former member
Post #: 9
If money is not an issue, buy a Thule or Yakima roof rack system. Decide how you want your boat positioned: flat on its hull, upside down or on its side? Also, how do you want to load it? Pick it up and lift it over your head while standing by the side of your car, or load it from the rear- which can be done by sliding it? Then get the right system to fit your car, realizing that if you buy a different car this rack my not fit anymore.

If money is a factor, and you'd prefer to rear load (which is easier), and you have (or can get) factory roof cross-bars, then I suggest the SportRack ABR512 Kayak Saddle. Cost about $75 on Amazon.com. Simple hard plastic pieces that keep your kayak positioned properly. They are not as secure as the Thule Glide and Set system I used to have, but were a fraction of the price. They fit any factory roof rack crossbar. (On Amazon, it looks like you get 2 in a pack but you get all 4.)

I always use long bungees as back-ups to my tie-down straps. My 13' Necky kayak rides very securely on this system.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thank you very much for this info Dan, I searched a little bit, and found that Thule makes a rack custom made for my car which I will most likely get installed here in the not too distant future.