addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › Blatant L.L. Bean Advertising

Blatant L.L. Bean Advertising

autumn
user 7533621
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
Is anyone else slightly put-off by the recent barrage of blatant L.L. Bean advertising on this site by way of "Meet-ups" where you have to dish out big bucks $$$ to participate? I have read the Meetup terms of service, and the posting of these commercial events by an employee seems to violate those terms in both rule and the spirit of Meetup.

Just my two cents. I have been lucky to meet many cool fellow 'yakers and enjoyed tons of great adventures via this site and I hate to see that compromised.
Rob
user 38012432
Beaver, PA
Post #: 10
Interesting to read this since I was just coming over to the discussion board to ask the same question: Should commercial interests be advertising through the meetup group? I participated in one of the LL Bean functions at North Park, and while I had a good time, I didn't really think it was appropriate for them to use the groups as free advertising, especially when they make people sign releases to participate...containing information that can then be used for directed marketing purposes...or when they charge fees.

Janet K
user 10208753
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 85
Yes, surprised & put-off by what is clearly an LLBean ad for their kayaks, disbelief at the near $50 to participate! I have no problem if they want to do this on their own Meetup group site...
Kodiak F.
kfiresmith
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 13
It's also notable that they aren't a sponsor of this meetup and have their own meetup page. Our own sponsor doesn't seem to do this.

We should do our own free moonlight tour of North Park Lake, it's something I'd wanted to do anyhow and just planned to go out around the same time as theirs but with my own gear.
A former member
Post #: 3
$50 to paddle NP lake outrageous.
A former member
Post #: 1
Fellow Kayakers,

I am the L.L.Bean Outdoor Discovery School Manager. I take your comments to heart and I agree with most of what you are saying. We offer many different programs. Many of the programs ARE free. The paid programs have more in depth instruction and we provide all of the equipment for those classes. There is no reason for us to post these paid courses on the Kayakers site however, and will no longer cross post them here.

I have had a great time paddling with many of you from this group in some of our free outings. Most recently, we hosted the Full "Super Moon" Paddle at North Park and sadly had to cancel our Fireworks Paddle due to river conditions. We are also hosting a Birding themed paddle around Sycamore Island coming up on the 21st.

Thank you for the feedback. Hope to see everyone on the water very soon !!

Sincerely,

Kevin Obendorfer
L.L.Bean Outdoor Discovery School Manager
Mike C
user 5622568
Harmony, PA
Post #: 56
Hi Kevin,

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I think it's a worthwhile activity, just like Venture Outdoors' trips. Getting newbies into boats and giving them some instruction is a great way to grow the kayaking community. On the other hand, I understand there's a limited interest here for fee-based trips. The demo days and free seminars are more likely to interest some of our members.

So let's stop posting these as events, but please feel free to post them on the calendar as notes. This will give some visibility to them, but won't result in email notifications and reminders to the group members.

I wish you well on your events. Every boat you sell means a potential new member here!

Regards,
Mike