The Great Outdoors Message Board › New Meetup: Econlockhatchee River Snow Hill to St. Johns river 46.. Long trip...

New Meetup: Econlockhatchee River Snow Hill to St. Johns river 46.. Long trip...

Mike C.
user 3250322
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Announcing a new Meetup for The Great Outdoors!

What: Econlockhatchee River Snow Hill to St. Johns river 46.. Long trip...

When: January 17, 2009 8:00 AM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: "Rentals... You need to tell me what Type of boat you will need with your RSVP!!!

Anyone with an Extra Kayak that you can bring out please send me an email... or email someone and let them know yourself...

We will meet at Snow Hill at 8am to unload and then take runner cars to 46 bridge about 20 min away.With the paddle starting at 9AM sharp... This is a 12-15 mile run and will take about 6 hours to run. We will be going with the flow of the water so the paddle will not be that bad and I place it in the easy/moderate run due to the distance only. We could see some issues the last 2 miles once we hit the St. Johns river with wind and boat traffic.This trip will be in a little more open water with the river opening up. We will be traveling through farm lands and open pastures and we should not see any outs due to down trees. To be honest about it, this is the best part of the Econ river well for me anyways, very back water but with all of Old and New Florida back country to look at...

Do expect to see large alligators on this run.. getting well over the 12' range. This time of year should bring the Bald Eagles back around and I hope a pair that I have been watching over the last 7 years will be showing up (I have not found the nest yet, maybe this year will be it).
Know your limitations!!! This is a January run and it can get windy and cold or it can be very hot with no breeze.
Expect to get wet so bring a change of clothes!!!
Rentals:
I do have a rental company that can help us out and more to come on that later. Let me know on your RSVP if you need to rent and what type of boat you need..
Basic rates will run for rentals at $40 for a single Kayak and $50 for a tandem kayak or a canoe. Take note that Hidden River only has, 8- single kayaks, 4- tandem yaks, but unlimited canoe rentals. All yaks are sit-ins. In order to assure everyone's boat is accounted for and no one gets missed, I will be reserving the boats and will be giving the final number of boats on December 5th so please do not reserve yourself. Thanks..
After the paddle we will get a bite to eat at the Fish camp if it is still open....
Snow Hill Rd map.
All RSVP will get updated one week out from the paddle and questions email me...
See you all soon,
Mike C.

Learn more here:
http://kayaking.meetu...­
Mike C.
user 3250322
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 177
Thank you all for your RSVP...
Ok everyone we have a few days to go until this paddle. I have paddled with several of you and have a good idea who's has kayaks but if I do not know you and you have not told me that you need a yak on your RSVP or that you have a yak to use,,, "Can you please update your RSVP to let me know". The cut off date for add on rentals will be EOD Tuesday the 13. I want to make sure everyone has a boat to use.
I will be sending out an pre-paddle email on Thursday with more instructions and directions to the "In". So for those of you that have emailed me for directions I will send them at that time.
See you all soon,
Mike C.
Chris
user 4896201
Davenport, FL
Post #: 29
Gonna be a little brisk tomorrow. Hopefully the sun and some hard paddling warms us up.
Mike C.
user 3250322
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 179
My original post,,, to large for the trip page...
MC

I want to thank all of you for coming out and enjoying this great paddle with friends… The cold kept some folks from coming out on this paddle… That’s alright with me… but you that did not come missed out on a great day… I will keep it simple…the wildlife was out in force on this trip, we came across several alligators from a few feet to well over 13’ long. As for the birds; I viewed one pair of eagles on a nest…Yes I finally found a nest, not the pairing nest I have been looking for but 2 younger eagles that seemed to be on some chicks. I viewed the male fighting off a red-tailed hawk in mid air…Nice!! I will be going back out discreetly to see for sure if they have young ones… Then I viewed 6-8 more eagles throughout the day not sure if they could be repeats or not. I did see 2 immature eagles flying at the same time so I am sure we have several nest in the area. I can’t even count the numbers of hawks (several types) and osprey we came across. I am not a big birder but if you like to watch birds this was just one of the trips they all seemed to be on and you missed out on.
Ok facts of the trip… In the water at 9:20AM and out at 3:30PM. We made two main stops one for 30min and one for 10-15min. We paddled just at 12 miles and made good time. The wind was out of the north northeast most of the time but it made the last 1.5 miles to the “Out” fun… As expected we had several outs for the first 1.5 miles but after that the river opens up and it is clear paddling. This is still my favorite part of Econ and a must paddle for everyone…
Thanks again for coming out!!!
See you soon,
Mike C.