Madison Kayaking Meetup Group Message Board › Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek

Tom M.
user 50963532
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
Has anyone ever made the run from Sweet Allyn Park (Shopiere) to Beloit? I understand the water is too low this year, but I am curious about the experience: portaging, water speed, time to complete. Thanks!
Shannon S.
user 10717993
Milton, WI
Post #: 1
I have done a stretch from Sweet Allyn Park to Cranston Road in Beloit a few years ago. There was one portage spot not far into the trip due to downed trees but other then that it was a good paddle. I want to say it took us around 90 minutes to paddle that stretch & the water wasn't terrible low. The more you paddle into Beloit the harder it was to find a take out spot. Hope this helps.

Shannon
Megan
user 7959909
Beloit, WI
Post #: 17
I did this paddle on May 5th, barely--the water was crazy low, something like 94cfs. At that point there was no portaging, technically, though there were a lot of stuck kayaks almost throughout the paddle and lots of moving back and forth across the creek to find passable depths. There was one tree down where one member of the group helped shove folks over who built up a head of steam and popped over. Might not be an issue when the water is higher. (this was beyond Cranston Road)

There are other trees to go around, but based on conversations with others who'd done it before it sounds like the creek is a lot more clear than it was a few years ago. Some current and a few riffles, also, even at 94 cfs: I wouldn't say this is a beginner paddle.

The Cranston Road "takeout" is on private property (I live down the street), though the house is for sale and I'm not sure whether it's occupied. There's a park across the bridge where you could take out, but you'd have to cross a busy road with your kayak to load up.

We took out in South Beloit; there is an access road next to the Papa Johns on Blackhawk Blvd. that has a grassy parking area and is a pretty good takeout spot. That makes it something like a 11-12 mile paddle. I think the name of the access road is Dickop Street. It's right before the creek dumps into the Rock River.

It would be a great paddle with higher water levels--you really barely do know you are in a town for most of it.

Megan