*********BRING YOUR KIDS TO ANY OF THE MEETUPS YOU WANT TO ATTEND*************
The Skeptics Group is off to an excellent start in 2009! We watched/discussed & chatted about a NOVA documentary on Fractals "Hunting for Hidden Dimensions" http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hunting+for+hidden+dimensions+alwaysblazen&search_type=&aq=f
. We explored practical applications to science, medicine, financial markets, etc.
One member brought his 9 and 11 year old daughters with him and Yes - they participated! It looks like the girls got the concept of fractals pretty well and one of them even drew a pattern of her breathing as "fractal representation".
************ Next SKEPTICS meetup will be as always on 1st Saturday of the month, February. 7th at 7 p.m. - We'll be talking about conspiracy theories of "Moon Landing" - sign up at http://skeptics.meetup.com/137
*********SPECIAL EVENT************** POLAR BEAR PLUNGE - SUNDAY, JAN 11TH - 4:00 p.m. in Freeman, MO (South of Peculiar, MO). This will allow folks from COMMUNITY OF REASON to come after their weekly lecture and also GOOD LIFE HUMANISTS IN GRANDVIEW to come 1 HOUR BEFORE their dinner at 5 p.m. and we can then go out and eat with them.
Join us for the Polar Bear Plunge to bring attention to global warming and publicize efforts of Kansas City FreeThinkers! A Kansas City newspaper reporter is going to attend the event and she might jump in herself :o) Several people already committed to jump off the dock into the lake! You don't have to swim or jump in the lake to participate - you can just watch and take photos of the crazy people doing it! After that we will head out to eat - AT 5 P.M. IS A MEETUP OF GOOD LIFE HUMANISTS AT "WESTERN SIZZLIN'" IN GRANDVIEW MO
We found a lake at someone mother's home and a dock we can jump from. The address of the home is not clear yet, we'll get it to you, but I have put it on this map for directions - http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=4D8DA718D9A52953!1138
For GPS I have put it the address of the Freeman's City Hall - the only address of a business in the big town of Freeman. The house/dock are just a short hop North and then East and then South. I'll get the address later.
To RSVP to come or to plunge, please, e-mail [address removed] or call on my cell[masked] http://www.KCFreeThinkers.org
will be updated with info on it and it's already on the calendar at http://www.KCFreeThinkers.org/calendar.htm
* TOMORROW TUESDAY, JAN 6TH, 7 P.M. - A NEW ATHEIST & AGNOSTIC MEETUP IN ST. JOSEPH! - in just about a week of organizing there will be about 10 people. We discovered there is a newly founded group of "basement atheists" who meet in the Library and they contacted us after they saw the new group formed, we'll meet with them on Sunday. Also, there is a "raw foodie" group of freethinkers, we'll hook up with them on Friday for a potluck and get them signed up for the Meetup to promote their social events.
* FREETHINKING BREAKFAST - Wed, Jan 7th - 8 a.m. at IHOP on 119th & I-35 in Olathe. Chats are always great and we often visit with the Muslim owner of the restaurant.
* ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP OF LUTHERANS - Thursday, Jan 8th - 6:30 p.m. - The group is very friendly and chats about environment as they are not preparing for the Rapture :o) A few of us FreeThinkers come and chat. We normally spar with the Lutherans right before the meetup about religion, science, rationality, critical thinking, etc. and then quickly move on to environmental issues. They normally have a Bible quote for the meeting which I personally love to tear apart on logical and scientific grounds - they have not kicked us out yet :o)
**************** NEW!!! ***********SPECIAL********** Saturday, Jan 10th, 6 p.m. - Black Dog Coffee House, Lenexa. World renown Skeptic Michael Shermer will visit with KC folks by wonders of Internet video about pseudo sciences, psychics, why people believe in weird things, economics, politics, etc,
* IMMEDIATELY after Michael Shermer's presentation we'll watch a science documentary from the wonderful running on the History Channel "The Universe" - "PARALLEL UNIVERSES". - Black Dog Coffee House.
* KANSAS CITY'S ONLY RADIO SHOW "Voice of Reason" - Community Radio - KKFI, 90.1 FM, Sunday Jan 11th 7-8 a.m. They take call ins.
* Sunday, Jan 11th 11 a.m. SCIENCE AND SCI-FI BOOK
* Sunday, Jan 11 th 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m - COMMUNITY OF REASON, = a NEW SKEPTICAL RELIGIOUS STUDY FOR MEDITERRANEAN RELIGIONS AND RELIGIONS OF THE ASIAN WORLD for 2009
* Sun. January 11th 1 p.m. COMMUNITY OF REASON will present "Sex, Religion and Races: ACLU priorities for 2009" Dan Winter, Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas and Western Missouri
* Sunday, January 11th 4 p.m - POLAR BEAR PLUNGE - Freeman, MO
* Sunday. Jan 11th 5 p.m. - GOOD LIFE HUMANISTS DINNER IN GRANDVIEW - AFTER THE POLAR BEAR PLUNGE AT 4 P.M. IN FREEMAN!!!! Chats are always lively and all over the map as always with freethinkers!
* Sunday, Jan 11th 7 p.m. - WYANDOTTE/LEAVENWORTH Dinner at IHOP at the Legends. The topic of discussion, for the January meet-up, will be "As an atheist, should we have a better understanding of religions and the Christian Bible?" Come share your opinion, information and knowledge with the group concerning this topic. One of our group members, Loey Lockerby, has done a lot of research on other religions and the Bible. It should be an interesting and informative discussion.
For description of ****ALL*** KC FreeThinking events , RSVP details, directions and addresses visit http://www.KCFreeThinkers.org/calendar.htm