Seattle Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Doodle Romps Message Board › Recommendations for puppy training between Shoreline and the ship canal

Recommendations for puppy training between Shoreline and the ship canal

Brigitte
user 9931401
Seattle, WA
Post #: 18
Hi everyone -
my puppy will be arriving at the end of May and I want to be ready for her. Can Doodle Fans recommend trainers (for group or individual)? I am also not certain which training type is better - clicker, food reward or praise only. Appreciate any suggestions, here or off list -
Brigitte at ibamazon@aol.com
Thanks.
Cynthia
cynthia301
Seattle, WA
Post #: 19
I highly recommend Ahimsa in Ballard (www.doggiezen.com). Their puppy classes are great! Plus they have additional training to keep it up (Puppy Junior High and Advanced Manners). Pink has completed all 3. They also have puppy play times outside of class that you can bring your puppy to for supervised play with other puppies of a similar age.

As for training type, you typically combine clicker with food (or other reward - not all dogs are food motivated) and praise. The clicker marks the correct behavior and then you reward it.
Becky
user 4141689
Group Organizer
Woodinville, WA
Post #: 223
I agree, you want a food based positive reward training school. Also check out www.puppymanners.com while it's a bit out of the way, they have play dates for young puppies on a few Sundays a month and about 30 percent of their students drive from Seattle to Woodinville, well worth the drive! Puppy Manners is located at Crystal Creek Farm, 5 acres of fun for the dogs to run and be dogs and a beautiful large heated training room as well. We currently have class size of 10 students, and every class has 3 to 4 doodles so you would be in good doodle company!
Shannon
user 12136859
Seattle, WA
Post #: 6
We had a great experience at Great Dog in Northgate. They offer a wide variety of classes, and if you are just bringing your puppy home and want to get started right away, there's a Puppy Express class as well as a structured Puppy E3 play period on Saturdays. They use positive reinforcement techniques, and most of their classes are done without a clicker although we took a tricks class once and we used a clicker in that class.

Our doodle also goes to daycare at Great Dog, so if you end up needing that we recommend them for that as well.