The Los Angeles Semantic Web Meetup Message Board › list of popular semantic web books found on Amazon.com

list of popular semantic web books found on Amazon.com

A former member
Post #: 7
I just posted this list on the Google group "swnyc", which I understand is where our discussions are primarily supposed to go, but I thought since most people see this board first, it would be useful here, too. I spent a few hours on Amazon.com this morning, attempting to pick out the most popular books about the semantic web and related topics, and I ordered my list by the customer ratings of these books there. Not all the books are exactly about the semantic web per se, but it should be clear which are and which aren't focused on the semantic web. The ratings are based on a 5.0 scale, with 5.0 as the best. I hope this list is useful. I felt I needed it for myself, if nothing else, since I have much to learn.

Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions, by Toby Segaran, Jeff Hammerbacher
Building Trustworthy Semantic Webs, by Bhavani Thuraisingham
Enterprise Ontology: Theory and Methodology, by Jan L.G. Dietz
Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, by Ronald Brachman, Hector Levesque
Mining the Web: Discovering Knowledge from Hypertext Data, by Soumen Chakrabarti
Model Driven Architecture and Ontology Development, by Dragan Gasevic
Ontologies for Software Engineering and Software Technology, by Coral Calero, Francisco Ruiz, Mario Piattini
Semantic Web For Dummies, by Jeffrey T. Pollock
Semantic Web Programming, by John Hebeler, Matthew Fisher, Ryan Blace, Andrew Perez-Lopez
Semantic Web Technologies: Trends and Research in Ontology-based Systems, by John Davies, Rudi Studer, Paul Warren
Tagging: People-powered Metadata for the Social Web, by Gene Smith
Understanding Agent Systems, by Mark D'Inverno

Building and Managing the Meta Data Repository: A Full Lifecycle Guide, by David Marco
Enterprise Web 2.0 Fundamentals, by Krishna Sankar, Susan A. Bouchard
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web, by Thomas B. Passin
Intelligent Learning Infrastructure for Knowledge Intensive Organizations: A Semantic Web Perspective, by Ambjorn Naeve, Miltiadis Lytras
Introduction to the Semantic Web and Semantic Web Services, by Liyang Yu
Microformats: Empowering Your Markup for Web 2.0, by John Allsopp
Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications, by Toby Segaran
Programming the Semantic Web, by Toby Segaran
RESTful Web Services, by Leonard Richardson, Sam Ruby, David Heinemeier Hansson
Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL, by Dean Allemang
A Semantic Web Primer, First Edition, by Grigoris Antoniou, Frank van Harmelen

Building Enterprise Taxonomies, by Darin L. Stewart
Fuzzy Logic and the Semantic Web, by Elie Sanchez
HTML Mastery: Semantics, Standards, and Styling, by Paul Haine
Owl: Representing Information Using the Web Ontology Language, by Lee W. Lacy
Semantic Web: Concepts, Technologies and Applications, by K.K. Breitman
The Semantic Web: Semantics for Data and Services on the Web, by Vipul Kashyap, Christoph Bussler, Matthew Moran
Semantic Web Services: Concepts, Technologies, and Applications, by Rudi Studer, Stephan Grimm, Andreas Abecker
Social Networks and the Semantic Web, by Peter Mika
Spinning the Semantic Web: Bringing the World Wide Web to Its Full Potential, by Dieter Fensel
Thinking on the Web: Berners-Lee, Gödel and Turing, by H. Peter Alesso, Craig F. Smith
Visualizing the Semantic Web, by Vladimir Geroimenko
Weaving the Web: The Original Design and Ultimate Destiny of the World Wide Web, by Tim Berners-Lee

Building Web Services with Java: Making Sense of XML, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI, by Steve Graham
Metadata Solutions: Using Metamodels, Repositories, XML, and Enterprise Portals to Generate Information on Demand, by Adrienne Tannenbaum
Ontological Engineering: with examples from the areas of Knowledge Management, e-Commerce and the Semantic Web. First Edition, by Asuncion Gomez-Perez, Oscar Corcho, Mariano Fernandez-Lopez
Ontologies: A Silver Bullet for Knowledge Management and Electronic Commerce, by Dieter Fensel
Practical RDF, by Shelley Powers
Principles of Data Mining, by David J. Hand
A Semantic Web Primer, 2nd Edition, by Grigoris Antoniou, Frank van Harmelen
The Semantic Web: A Guide to the Future of XML, Web Services, and Knowledge Management, by Michael C. Daconta
Web 2.0 Architectures: What entrepreneurs and information architects need to know, by James Governor, Dion Hinchcliffe, Duane Nickull
XML Databases and the Semantic Web, by Bhavani Thuraisingham

Towards the Semantic Web: Ontology-Driven Knowledge Management, by John Davies

Designing XML Databases, by Mark Graves
Ontology Learning for the Semantic Web, by Alexander Maedche

Creating the Semantic Web with RDF: Professional Developer's Guide, by Johan Hjelm

UNRATED
Agency and the Semantic Web, by Christopher Walton
Building an Intelligent Web: Thoery and Practice, by Rajendra Akerkar
Enabling Semantic Web Services: The Web Service Modeling Ontology, by Dieter Fensel, Holger Lausen, Axel Polleres, Jos de Bruijn, Michael Stollberg, Dumitru Roman, John Domingue
Foundations of Semantic Web Technologies, by Pascal Hitzler, Sebastian Rudolph, Markus Kroetzsch
Foundations of the Semantic Web: Xml, Rdf & Ontology, by R. Akerkar
The Geospatial Web: How Geobrowsers, Social Software and the Web 2.0 are Shaping the Network Society, by Arno Scharl, Klaus Tochtermann
Implementing Semantic Web Services: The SESA Framework, by Dieter Fensel, Mick Kerrigan, Michal Zaremba
Information Sharing on the Semantic Web, by Heiner Stuckenschmidt, Frank van Harmelen
Internet Based Workflow Management: Towards a Semantic Web, by Dan C. Marinescu
Law and the Semantic Web: Legal Ontologies, Methodologies, Legal Information Retrieval, and Applications, by Richard Benjamins, Pompeu Casanovas, Joost Breuker, Aldo Gangemi
The Logic of Knowledge Bases, by Hector J. Levesque
Modeling Semantic Web Services: The Web Service Modeling Language, by Jos de Bruijn, Dieter Fensel, Mick Kerrigan, and Uwe Keller
An Ontology of Time: Representing Complex Temporal Phenomena for the Semantic Web and Natural Language, by Feng Pan
Rules and Rule Markup Languages for the Semantic Web: Third International Workshop, RuleML 2004, Hiroshima, Japan, November 8, 2004, Proceedings, by Grigoris Antoniou, Harold Boley
Security in the Semantic Web using OWL, by G. Denker, L. Kagal, T. Finin
Semantic Knowledge Management: Integrating Ontology Management, Knowledge Discovery, and Human Language Technologies, by John Davies, Marko Grobelnik, Dunja Mladenic
Semantic Web-Based Information Systems: State-of-the-Art Applications, by Amit Sheth
Semantic Web - Concepts and Applications
Semantic Web: A Field Guide, by Thomas B Passin
Semantic Web Engineering in the Knowledge Society, by Jorge Cardoso, Miltiadis Lytras
The Semantic Web: Real-World Applications from Industry, by Jorge Cardoso, Martin Hepp, Miltiadis D. Lytras
Semantic Web: Revolutionizing Knowledge Discovery in the Life Sciences, by Christopher J.O. Baker, Kei-Hoi Cheung
Semantic Web Services: Theory, Tools and Applications, by Jorge Cardoso
The Social Semantic Web, by John G. Breslin, Alexandre Passant, Stefan Decker
Social Semantic Web: Web 2.0 - Was nun?, by Andreas Blumauer, Tassilo Pellegrini
Social Web Evolution: Integrating Semantic Applications and Web 2.0 Technologies, by Miltiadis D. Lytras, Patricia Ordonez de Pablos
Web Semantics Ontology, by David Taniar, Johanna Wenny Rahayu
Hung T.
temojin
Santa Monica, CA
Post #: 6
I'm adding two that I mentioned at yesterday evenning's event.
Semantic Web Programming
http://www.semanticun...­
Product Description
The next major advance in the Web?Web 3.0?will be built on semantic Web technologies, which will allow data to be shared and reused across application, enterprise, and community boundaries. Written by a team of highly experienced Web developers, this book explains examines how this powerful new technology can unify and fully leverage the ever-growing data, information, and services that are available on the Internet. Helpful examples demonstrate how to use the semantic Web to solve practical, real-world problems while you take a look at the set of design principles, collaborative working groups, and technologies that form the semantic Web. The companion Web site features full code, as well as a reference section, a FAQ section, a discussion forum, and a semantic blog.
Authors: John Hebeler
Authors: Matt Fisher
Authors: Ryan Blace
Authors: Andrew Perez-Lopez

Programming the Semantic Web
by Toby Segaran
Colin Evans
Jamie Taylor

Product Description
With this book, the promise of the Semantic Web -- in which machines can find, share, and combine data on the Web -- is not just a technical possibility, but a practical reality Programming the Semantic Web demonstrates several ways to implement semantic web applications, using current and emerging standards and technologies. You'll learn how to incorporate existing data sources into semantically aware applications and publish rich semantic data.
A former member
Post #: 9
You left out the most important part: which was the one with filled unfollowable Python code that you recommended avoiding?
Hung T.
temojin
Santa Monica, CA
Post #: 8
D - the book i mentioned is the Oreilly Programming the Semantic Web above. But to clarify - the book and it's code are fine. What i mentioned was that I tried to follow along by typing in the code and committed many errors due to whitespacing - the faults are all my own which i was fully aware of. So had i downloaded the source and ran it I'm very sure it would have worked out well.

So hope that clarify - so feel free to purchase, download, and code away!