Leashes of Love is an all volunteer pet therapy group that serves the public by scheduling pet therapy visits to hospitals, special needs schools, library reading programs, correctional facilities and assisted living facilities.
What is Animal Assisted Therapy?
Today, animals provide many positive human health benefits:
Companionship, a friend to care for and to keep one occupied, something alive and warm to touch, a focus of attention, a reason for exercise, and to provide protection. Therapy programs using animals have evolved worldwide in many forms and names. Usually these programs are directed toward people with health problems requiring rehabilitation, such as elderly, physically handicapped, deaf, blind, emotionally or physically ill, or persons in correctional institutions.
To Get Started With Our Group:
Please review our Faq's page first to see if you meet
the requirements. If you feel you & your dog are ready,
please read the following below and we will be in contact
with you soon.
1. Join our group, you will then receive an email about evaluations.
2. All dogs & handlers must have an evaluation before starting any
3. All dogs must be up to date on shots- distemper & rabies and you
must provide copies of these records.
4. There is a yearly membership fee of $20.00
5. All volunteers must attend an orientation
6. All handlers are required to have their dogs tested and certified for
pet therapy within 6 months of joining our group.
7. Jr. Handlers must be 13 years of age and able to handle and test with their dog on their own.
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.
— Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers