add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

LevelUp - IGDA Victoria Message Board › UVIC Victoria Game Designers

UVIC Victoria Game Designers

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 42
The club is for students, but I'd love to have guest speakers from the Victoria game community come give talks if anyone is interested :D It will be starting up in the fall.
Victoria, BC
Post #: 3
Actually being part of many clubs from UVIC and NOT a student I can tell you clubs are NOT ONLY for students. They have to have a MAJORITY of student but Non-Students are welcome and appreciated. Organizers of the club have to be students but when it comes to special activity there is no rule about non-student helping the organizers.

And when they say the "Majority of the club members must be students" they mean "the majority of REGISTERED club members", the members that have their name down in the club books... People coming in once in a while to watch what the club is doing are NOT members so don't count on the "student / non-student" ratio.

Don't worry too much about the non-student crew, just make sure to attract as many students as possible and the council will be happy. They just want to be sure their funds go to Students and not only to outsiders.

As of what the club could offer: What about Workshops and Presentations? Challenges can also be cool. I don't talk about huge challenges but just a 2hr problem that need to be solved by the whole group together or by small team...

Good luck with that.
A former member
Post #: 32
I'm totally happy to give workshops on how to setup flash dev (with or without the IDE); I've taught a few classes before and done some informal things at events too. Be happy to spread it out over a few days even, and get anyone with a PC up and running and actually making games.

Macs are a bit more difficult (FlashDevelop is coming for Macs soon but not here yet), but definitely possible with any editor. I used to use Notepad++ but any text editor will do.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 43
That sounds awesome Andy!