The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Linus Server "Admin" newbie

Linus Server "Admin" newbie

A former member
Post #: 6
Hi!

I host a bunch of websites for my design clients, and recently I started hosting our sites on a dedicated virtual server at (mt) media temple. So far so good, I know absolutely nothing - ZERO - about server administration. I'm a graphic designer with a bit of programming experience. So I'm in way over my head and I really don't want to screw things up.

Is there a class or workshop anyone can recommend that I take (looking for something down and dirty - just an introduction) so I know a little about this server and what kinds of things I should be doing with it? Maintenance and whatever else.

Also, I should have more than enough memory for 10 websites all running WordPress with pretty small databases. Yet my memory usage is running at 97%. I read that's okay, but if anyone has any thoughts on that, I would be appreciative.

Thanks
Jen
Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 64
Jen:

Welcome to the Linux Meetup, and thanks for your post. First thing you might consider is that this meetup is a collection of people who are have a range of experience that you might find helpful. If you can come to the meetings, it'll help.

There are several books out that are good. Austin Community College offers a webmaster certification course that has Linux courses. Also, perhaps (based upon your request) we'll dedicate a Meetup to this topic. You might also find some useful info with Google.

I hope to see you at a meeting soon.

Bob Carnaghi