addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Driver for wireless - attempting to locate and download

Driver for wireless - attempting to locate and download

A former member
Post #: 19
This is related to an earlier thread on mounting CDROM.

I have installed the "Windows Wireless Drivers" GUI so that I can download the driver for my on-board WIFI. I now need to locate the driver, down load it and open it with the GUI.

Where would I search for the driver wrapper? The CDROM or APT or seach a web page somewhere after an extensive Google Search?

Regards,

Rocky
Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 43
Rocky:

What type of wireless card? Is it a Broadcom? (I ask this because I've had LOTS of previous experience with that one.) Chana & I had this discussion at the last Meetup. Broadcom is notorious for writing Windows only drivers. My Broadcom 4311 goes further, Windows Vista only.

Are you attempting NDISwrapper? If so, the best howto I've seen for NDISwrapper was written by Klaus Knoppix in the January 2008 issue of Linux Pro Magazine. Unfortunately, the link is only to the magazine as posted online, since I couldn't find the specific article reprinted. You can Google 'howto ndiswrapper' and sift through the results. In essence, NDISwrapper is a kernel module that interprets a native Windows driver (a .inf file) for the Linux system. You may end up having to compile NDISwrapper. I've seen it work in the past. NDISwrapper will work with many wireless cards, not just the Broadcom.

Further, there's another more specific package called Windows Wireless Drivers in Ubuntu. There's also a facility called 'fwcutter' that will cut the firmware out of a Windows driver package. Look in Add-Remove packages under System tools. I think NDISwrapper is there, too. If I go to System - Administration - Hardware Drivers on my Ubuntu, it lists some proprietary drivers for the video & wireless on my system. What's on yours?
A former member
Post #: 21
The Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P15 and is about 6 years old. Still pretty good technology since it was 'bleeding edge' when purchased.

I was attempting to do the "ndiswrapper - common_1.50-ubuntu_all.deb" and I kept having the mount point issue in the other threads. I was able to download the GUI for adding and managing the device driver, but nooowwww... I need to find the driver so that I can access and install it.

I only want to find a driver to download and the GUI should be able to handle the rest.

Regards,

Rocky
Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 44
Rocky:

OK. I see you listed the type of laptop, but not the specific wireless card. Try this command: 'lspci'. This will output a listing of all the devices on your laptop that are connected through the PCI bus. You should see something in the list that looks like a wireless card. With that info, Google for the specific wireless drivers: you should come up with something *.inf, or *.sys, or both. Once you have those drivers, do whatever it takes to unzip/open/untar them. Then, from inside NDISwrapper, go through the process/prompts/configuration boxes and load/point NDISwrapper at them.

This is the general process I just followed while loading my BroadCom 4311 wireless card during the configuration of the card in a Mandriva install on my laptop. It took me several tries, fumbling, poking and finally: WooHoo! smile
A former member
Post #: 22
larisa@larisa-laptop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX Go5100] (rev a1)
02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC100 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 33)
02:06.0 System peripheral: Toshiba America Info Systems SD TypA Controller (rev 05)
larisa@larisa-laptop:~$
A former member
Post #: 23
I did find this Ubuntu forum "sticky" on wireless.

http://ubuntuforums.o...­

Rocky
A former member
Post #: 24
I have this "genius" friend who introduced me to Linux. His thoughts are this:

The wireless "on/off" switch is an adjunct to the keyboard and not a direct shut off to the power to the wireless radio. If I had the switch turned off and loaded Linux, then a software switch relating to WIFI was set to zero. He recommended looking in the "proc" folder.

Bottom line: The WIFI is turned off and not being seen by the Linux kernel. This would explain why the WIFI doesn't show up on my hardware configuration like my Ethernet does.

I have not had access to the laptop so I have not looked into this, but the guy has a 187 IQ and can solve problems pretty quickly so I expect he's on to something.

Case closed for now and thanks for all your support.