addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

the london philosophy club Message Board › non-existance

non-existance

Mruddick
user 80843952
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hello all.
I'm doing some research on the idea of non-existance throughout human culture. I'm looking at religion, philosophy and science to see if I can track the idea. I was wondering if any members could suggest any authors, books or articles on this subject.

Mike
Luis J.
LuisJohnstone
London, GB
Post #: 4
Hi Mike,

I'm sure there is plenty out there.
From a Philosophical perspective the major line in the sand is between pre and post-Kantian thinking on the topic. See the Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant or, if you don't fancy chewing on glass, then read some tertiary material.

A good starting point would be the London Philosophy Study Guide. Fortunately, it is available online as well as in print:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/...­

Obviously, the section on Existence is a good place to start:

But you'll probably want to look at the sections on Objects, Substance and Events:

What you will note is largely an emphasis on the post-Kantian/post-Fregean idea of treating questions of Metaphysics as being in the neighbourhood of linguistics or, specifically, semantics. Hence, the classic 'Kantian' retort that 'Existence is a not a predicate'. As such, there is, from an academic perspective, a great deal of cross-over with the Philosophy of Language

The so-called "Analytic tradition" is not without exception one of single-minded linguistic analysis, but, it is something that tends to characterise the tradition. As such, you'll find a substantial contrast with much of what could be termed the "pre-analytic tradition" (let alone the supposed contemporary of the Analytic tradition: Continentalism).

You'll also tend to find in most areas of Philosophy questions of existence which typically come in the form of a debate between 'Realism' and 'anti-Realism'. Again, the LPSG should have plenty to get you started in the respective sections.

A general decent Metaphysics book on the LPSG list is the Anthology edited by Crane and Farkas:

Crane, T., and K. Farkas. eds. 2004. Metaphysics: A Guide and Anthology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Best of luck,

Luis.
Mruddick
user 80843952
London, GB
Post #: 2
Luis,
Thanks very much. That's got me off to a great start. You wouldn't by any chance have any similar information about the idea on non-existance in religion, would you?
Mike
A former member
Post #: 2
not exist is not exist coz which exist is only exist.
A former member
Post #: 7
I can say this about what doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.
A former member
Post #: 9
Well this opens a "new an of worms" here. Awesome. Now in what plane of reality are you talking and in what space-time continuum? Matter or anti-matter? A lot of something to do about nothing.

I put my song up there for disection if you are even thinking about non-existence and this is my argument for existence vs. non-existence. However when ur existence is up do you truly want to be non-existant? There are no guarantees there. Life after death or experiences with people who have been technically or temporarily dead would have to be researched or zombies (lol). Look no further to any other source. Got it all figured out right here. lol :)

https://www.youtube.c...­

"Est id quod est" >Latin- "It is what it is")