addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Hexane (a topic raised at Vegan Bodybuilding)

Hexane (a topic raised at Vegan Bodybuilding)

Shelley
user 35729342
London, GB
Post #: 1
I contacted The Redwood Co, Linda McCartney Foods and Holland & Barrett.

I received a brief reply from Linda McCartney to say they are obtaining the relevant information from their supplier. I have not yet had a response from Redwoods'. I have heard back from Holland and Barrett (or Solae, who makes the soya protein isolate)

Not sure if I can attach anything here, but Solae provided two information sheets and the following information in the body of the email:

RE: Hexane In Soy-Based Foods

The following statements are the facts about hexane and how it relates to the manufacturing of Solae’s ingredients:

· Hexane is a common solvent that is used to extract and separate vegetable oil from most all oilseeds, including soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, olive oil and many others.

· Processing that utilizes hexane is tightly controlled, and the processing techniques ensure that virtually all residual hexane is removed from the separated oils and seed components and then retained and recycled.

· Hexane has been safely used in the process of separating oils from seed components for over 50 years.

· Hexane only comes in contact with the raw material (defatted soy flake) that Solae uses as a raw material source through its contact in the removal of soybean oil from the flake. This exposure occurs before the defatted soy flakes come into Solae’s manufacturing facilities.

· There is no hexane used in the direct manufacturing of Solae’s Isolated Soy Protein from defatted soy flakes.

· The residual level of hexane found in Solae’s Isolated Soy Protein is typically less than 1 ppm, the detection limit of the test procedure (i.e. Gas Chromotagraphy- Mass Spectroscopy (GC-MS) Analysis) used for hexane analysis.

· Solae takes the usage of hexane seriously and follows strict manufacturing processes to ensure the safety of our products. As a result, our products are routinely screened for residual hexane content using GC-MS analysis.

· Solae complies with all applicable federal, state, and local environmental regulations.

Solae confirms its commitment to Core Values (Safety and Health, Ethical Behavior, Respect for
People and Environmental Stewardship) and the research and technology used in the development of our soy ingredients ensuring their nutritional quality and safety. If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact your Solae Account Manager so that such questions or concerns can be appropriately addressed.

sincerely

(See attached file: HEXANE_ISP_FIBER_QTP090603003.pdf)
(See attached file: HEXANECONC_QTP060817006.pdf)

Marc Cappelle
Senior QA lead Solae Europe
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 291
Thanks for this, any word back yet from the others?

I first read about Hexane via the Health Ranger's article. As usual, it's a cheap by-product (of the petroleum industry), used in all but organic production.