London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Tips On How To Handle Being Criticised Because Of Being Vegan.

Tips On How To Handle Being Criticised Because Of Being Vegan.

Leena_S
user 38117812
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi guys,

I'm sure all of us go through this daily however what are your tips and advice for handling others to scrutinise and criticise (even attack) your choice to be vegan.

Also would anyone have any advice on vegan boxing gloves.

I would love to hear of your experiences.

Leena smile

www.facebook.com/leena.sowambur (if you would like to friend me)

Mia
user 34696442
London, GB
Post #: 4
Hi Leena. My family often make fun of me being Vegan but its usually light hearted so i find its better to join in the joke! If anyone questions my choice i can just ask what they think I'm missing. I can usually reply with nutritional info. Its hard to rave about the Vegan diet too much as all the things that justify your choice indirectly criticise's theirs. If you can make something tasty like a cake or buy a brownie from cookies and scream (amazing!) they will prob agree Vegan isn't SO bad! Good luck! Xx
Elka
user 46227762
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi Leena. I try to find my inner Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I tend to respond first with an honest question like: What makes you feel that way?" or "What offends you about veganism?". I've found this to lead to more understanding and open discussions. Remaining calm or joking also works well for me and I'm always reminding myself that I too was once a carnivore and that did not make me a bad person- I was just ignorant of the consequences of my decisions.

Listening to Colleen's podcast- Vegetarian Food for Thought- helps a lot. As a new vegan I find it very informative. Plus, she really equips her listeners with the tools to deal with all the questions and comments people might throw their way.

Hope that helps a bit. It's worked well for me so far- especially when followed by freshly baked vegan goodies.

Elka :)
Leena_S
user 38117812
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hello Elka and Mia,

Thanks so much for your advice.

Fantastic advice and I will check out this podcast!

I, like everyone here am so happy to answer questions and openly discuss what I eat. Yesterday I got asked what do vegans BBQ - amongst my myriad of creative food options we can come up with I hit upon "BBQ pineapple served with coconut milk vegan "ice cream" topped with BBQ cherries laced with rum!"

I made myself hungry!

Though unfortunately some folk think that attack is the best form of defence - however it sounds like this podcast has the answers.

Thank you again and I can't wait to meet you both!!

Best Wishes

Leena xx

Milady
user 23710741
London, GB
Post #: 3
It's also worth reminding people that they do eat vegan food too, albeit not as a conscious decision!

I get really fed up of the hypocrisy of omnivores in their intolerance of what people won't eat...on the moral spectrum nowhere near as invasive as extinguishing life for food.
Leena_S
user 38117812
London, GB
Post #: 3
Hi Milady,

Agreed... and thank you for the tip.

For me perhaps in a similar vein to you (?) it's the personal attacks that annoy me. I'm so happy to answer questions and chat about my journey which so far fall into 3 categories:-

1. Being accused of wearing leather boxing gloves (they're vinyl)
2. Being picked at for being vegan and training 20 odd hours a week because it can't be done (I'm a martial artist and living proof that it can be done)
3. Being told I must be really unhealthy or that all vegans are unhealthy. (ethical eating and healthy eating can sometimes be 2 separate decisions besides I dont see many omnivores bursting with health and it's not the vegan food that's the issue)

Anyway all this has made me realise that I need to concentrate my focus on the curious and open minded. Which is what I will do!

Lx