addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Love-A-Bull Pit Bull Meetup Message Board › Paid Advertising dog training... does it work?

Paid Advertising dog training... does it work?

Meghan
BlueSadiesMama
Leander, TX
Post #: 1
I saw this paid advertising for "Don Sullivan's The Perfect Dog Secrets to Training the Perfect Dog" and it includes two dvd's and a collar and three leashes... the dogs that are on the commercial SEEM to really change and get "better" after using it and so I'm tempted to buy this... However, I realize that it's the responsibility of the commercial to sell you so I'm holding back on wasting $60 + tax on something that won't work. My girl, Sadie, doesn't respect me like I would like unless she has already done something wrong and she knows that I'm mad and then she won't jump, she follows by my side or behind me, doesn't bark... all of the things I have problems with when everything's normal... I just want to enjoy my Sadie without having to be mad and can't afford to spend a whole lot of money so this seems like it might be a good option? She's really smart and seems to know right from wrong... she just seems to decide to do what she wants instead and that's not cool and I don't know what to do and if what I AM doing is actually helping or just making things worse... anyways, any and all help would be very appreciated!
A former member
Post #: 26
Personally theses "commercial" training programs are not always what they say they are. I have seen alot people try programs, books and many other things. They have only gotten bits and pieces out of it. Not enough to really be effective.

Though you are kinda far out from me smile I can try and guide you through some things to help you better your relationship with Sadie. Just like there seams to be a 1,000 ways to teach sit. There are many ways to teach, guide and correct your pets behaviors and actions.

Depending on what problem you are having exactly makes a difference on what you need to do. There's no instant way to to teach "respect" but many ways to gain the respect of your pet. Remembering not to yell and trying not to show your frustration is helpful and hard to do. Also remembering that she has her own personality and will act out like a kid sometimes. Doing or trying things that she shouldn't normally do.

It really depends on what you mean by not "respecting" you on what route you need to take.
Meghan
BlueSadiesMama
Leander, TX
Post #: 2
Well, she knows sit, lay down, stay, crawl, shake, and other paw shake but with distractions... well, you can see her attention going elsewhere... she is very good on a leash and doesn't normally react when there are other dogs or people but if we are just hanging out outside she can choose not to come when called or not to jump etc. which I have been working with her for a while now. One of my biggest complaints is jumping. This is a tricky one because she doesn't jump on ME, she jumps on everyone else. She will jump up in front of me as if to get my attention but pretty much never puts her paws on me unless I walk into her jumping and then she jumps right down. I have a two year old sister who I now live with and have been very strict on being gently around little ones so she has never jumped on her but my other sister who is turning ten gets jumped on all the time and gotten a few scratches, when I'm not around, on her tummy from Sadie which infuriates me and makes me feel very guilty and since Jamie (my sister) is kinda a dingbat in all aspects of life, she has no idea how to control or redirect the situation let alone know what behavior is ok and what's not...

My other HUGE problem is her barking and growling. This is another confusing one because her growling is, well, scary sounding. It's very deep and obviously threatening. But she only makes that noise when she hears something and she doesn't know what it is or where it's coming from. For example, if we're in my room going to bed and she hears my sister walking up the stairs she will growl and bark low, if my mom knocks on the door and she's not expecting it, if my dad walks into the other room and shuts a drawer, she growls... BUT when she actually sees them, she runs up with that HUGE smile and licks them from head to toe and dances around them and is obviously comfortable but I'm not.

I heard that if you're in command there should NEVER be any sign of aggression because they trust you to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of. I'm also very afraid that maybe she IS being aggressive but snaps out of it before it's too late but one day doesn't... I love my Sadie to death and just want her to be happy and to be able to take her anywhere and for her to enjoy where we go and not be scared into aggression since I think that's what she's doing... I don't want to say she's an aggressive dog because she has never shown even the slightest aggression to anyone who comes up and meets her or to any other dog for that matter... I just don't know what to do without spending hundreds of dollars that I just do not have... crying
A former member
Post #: 27
I sent you an e-mail. Like I said I will try to help you the best I can from Houston.