addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › Aurora Council Person Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars

Aurora Council Person Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars

Jim F.
user 3520348
Denver, CO
Post #: 10
"For the Children..."

Our Aurora City Council is at it again, wanting to ban smoking in cars with kids:

Jim Frye

http://www.aurorasent...­

Smoke ban a drag to safety committee

By Brandon Johansson
Aurora Sentinel & Daily Sun

Aurora | A plan to ban smoking in cars with children got a chilly response March 27 from City Council's Public Safety and Courts Committee.

The ban, proposed by Councilman Bob FitzGerald, would make it illegal to smoke cigarettes in a car with a child young enough to require a car seat or booster seat.

FitzGerald said the ban is necessary because of the ill effects of secondhand smoke on kids.

"As science progresses - and I'm a big believer in science - we find out more and more about what secondhand smoke does to kids," he said.

If the ban passes, Aurora would be the first city in the state and one of only a handful in the country to ban smoking in cars with children.

But two of the city council members on the committee said yesterday that although they don't think people should smoke in a car with a child, they don't think Aurora should make the practice illegal.

"Smoking in cars with children rises to the level of irresponsible, but falls short of criminal," said Councilman Ryan Frazier, the committee chairman.

Like Frazier, Councilwoman Sue Sandstrom opposed the ban but didn't dispute the dangers of smoking in a car with a child.

"Unfortunately, with freedom, comes the freedom to make bad decisions," she said.

The committee's other member, Councilwoman Molly Markert, said she supports the ban.

"I like the notion of us being the healthcare capital of the state," she said, referring to FitzGerald's assertion that a ban and the expansion at the Fitzsimons medical campus could make Aurora synonymous with healthcare.

Frazier and Sandstrom said although the committee wouldn't endorse the measure, they would like to see it go before the entire city council at an upcoming study session.

If the ban ultimately fails before the entire council, FitzGerald has said he would like to see it brought up again next year.
A former member
Post #: 34
when is the study session, we need to book a gathering at that event and give them a piece of our mind, or I at least want to go as I've been watching the Aurora council for awhile now and its time for me to start asking a few...questions.