add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › A strategic question

A strategic question

A former member
Post #: 40
One of the new members on this group wrote, "I would like to become more involved. I was a republican until the parties became indistinquishable."

We obviously welcome people with this sentiment. Very few of us were 'libertarian" at birth. Or even high school. Or even college. Or later. Most of us came to it after dealing with the failures of the two party system.

We came to the conclusion that liberty is the best of all political options after thoughtful reflection.

I do not want the disappointment with our presidential nominee to come across as not wanting to accept converts. We are all converts. If we are going to grow, we have to actively recruit converts from both parties and elsewhere.

Let's bring them in with open hearts, arms and minds. Many have seen the error of their ways and they need to feel welcome with us.

Don't they?

Yes, that even applies to our presidential nominee.

Once again, I ask all those disappointed with our nominee to focus on his conversion, not on his past.

At the very least, if you can't accept his conversion, follow the "Thumper Rule" from Bambi: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Thanks, and let freedom grow!
A former member
Post #: 61
I wonder what Thumper would say after hearing that Bambi's mother was shot. My problem is not with Barr's conversion or his unknown level of sincerity but with how he won the nomination. I was not aware that I was among the "anarchists", the "radicals", the "conspiracy theorists" until after the convention. It has now become clear that the "conspiracy" was deeper than any of us had imagined, yet we were constantly dismissed with the above labels. But winner takes all and the losers will have to sustain on the scraps in the back of the bus.

I have plenty more to say, but the Thumper Rule is in effect for the next 5 months. Just like the lead up to the Iraq invasion, any criticism is met with adamant denial, baseless accusations, and fervent blind loyalty. We in the minority can only remain silent and make sure the hijacked plane doesn't take out any more of that which we've worked so hard to build.

"Let Freedom Grow" could have been our campaign slogan, but the LP chose the criminal over the victim so now we can "Forgive Barr, Root for America".
A former member
Post #: 62
Obviously I'm upset with the presidential nomination but I should not let a few rotten apples spoil the bunch. By and large the "adamant denial" and "baseless accusations" came before the convention. The "fervent blind loyalty" has come from very few who remain adamant and accusatory.

Most libertarians I've spoken with have been open and understanding, even if they are fine with Barr. Most of the work we do is at a local level and that does not change. I see Barr as a bad omen, hopefully I'm wrong about that.
A former member
Post #: 41
I think Thumper would have said something like, "Bambi, I am so sorry for your loss. If there is anything I can do to help you, I will."

I have no idea what that means in the context of the LP, but I'm going to stick with the metaphor until it makes no sense. Wait, I guess we are there already.

I hope I haven't dismissed you or anyone with any labels. I hope I haven't met criticism with denial, accusations of any sort or blind loyalty. If I have, I apologize.

I have very serious questions about Barr/Root. I just think the nominated ticket provides the LP with many good opportunities and I am trying to focus on those.

BTW, I voted by Christine Smith on the first ballot and Steve Kubby on the second.

I very much respect your thoughts and feelings on the nomination.

A former member
Post #: 42
My second post above was written before I saw Jaime's second post. Just to clear up any confusion.
Tom S.
user 4104133
Aurora, CO
Post #: 17
Thank you Jamie...:)
David..I think I know you well enough to know that you're not one of the arrogant.."we won so you STFU" group...but having said that I think we should "can" thumper
(similar to "boot the root"...j/k)and work on presenting an outreach message that highlights libertarian principles and the local nature of our activism...after all, all politics is local, and is it not a given that there will be disagreeement among party members on who best presents our message?!?!?
As for me personally, I am undecided as to if I will particiapte in any public outreach activites prior to the november elections...I absolutely don't want to hurt the party outreach efforts, nor will lie and say I support the barr/root ticket...perhaps this'll be good discussion material for our weekly lunch and other meetings..
A former member
Post #: 1
Rarely will a nomination please an entire party, especially the activists.

We have plenty of work to be done to keep us all busy for a long, long time. Some will be more comfortable working out front and others will work behind the scenes on our infrastructure. All are needed and all are appreciated.

Let's work on a list of items we can accomplish in the next month, next quarter, and next year. One nomination will not make or break the Party.

I hope to see all of you tonight at the special board meeting.
A former member
Post #: 63
David, no worries, we're good, that is, if you'll still have me!