addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Pasturing Rabbits

Pasturing Rabbits

Jessica S.
user 74651402
Pownal, ME
Post #: 1
Hi all,
I recently acquired a pair of silver fox rabbits that I would like to pasture. I currently have them in hutches with worm bins to compost droppings underneath. Much of the reading I have been doing on pasturing has scared me, do to the high instance of coccidiosis. I was wondering if a veteran rabbit raiser could help me with figuring out the best way to incorporate my new rabbits into my permaculture design.
Alisha
user 7783797
Parsonsfield, ME
Post #: 5
Hi,
I've been raising angora rabbits for 3 years, which I allow to run around freely in my yard/fields (with chickens as well.) They have permanent hutches with attached runs where they stay at night, but during the day they have free run of the yard. I have 14 rabbits, and the boys and girls typically take turns roaming the yard. I have not experienced any health problems with the rabbits, and believe that more issues would probably occur with prolonged captivity than with the freedom to run and graze naturally. Pregnant females also make their own nests for their young in the outdoor hutches, and all the kits have been raised outdoors by their mothers. I do worm the adults occasionally by adding a wormer to their water a couple times a year. I don't know how this would effect meat quality because I am not planning to eat them! The only problem I have had with free range is predators. I am in a rural area and do recommend making sure all the bunnies are in well before dusk for their safety.
I hope my experience will encourage you to let your bunnies out to run around!

Alisha
Jessica S.
user 74651402
Pownal, ME
Post #: 2
Thanks for all the good information. I am going to get working on some large 4'x 8' pens so I can tractor them around outside in the clover patch and them put them inside for the night.
Wendy
user 9298467
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Post #: 76
My bunnies love being in the run. The only thing I would make sure that you are aware of is that bunnies dig, and they dig very well. smile

You might also want to be sure to keep the males and females separated.