The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Marshland Ecovillage? The Opportunity to Be Creative

Marshland Ecovillage? The Opportunity to Be Creative

Burl H.
burl-hall
Sabattus, ME
Post #: 106
There is an opportunity to buy 50+- acres in Sabattus, ME. The property is on a hillside overlooking a marsh. Most of it is wild, though the owner has recently cut some of the land to make more marketable. At present (10/12/13), the property has not been listed by a real estate agent; but the owner is planning to do so.

The area is rich in terms of what it can grow and in what it can support in terms of human beings. There are deer, bear has been reported (two people have now said they have seen evidence of a Smokey or a Yogi sniffing around) and there are old reports of moose. The author has heard coyotes and has seen a fisher. The land is also close to Sabattus Lake for fishing. By close meaning it is about a 30 minute walk....by car about 10 minutes.

For those who are hardy and knowledgeable enough to forage, there would be plenty of opportunities to do so given the marsh as well as the woods. Or do you dream to cultivate and perhaps forage for medicinal plants? Come see what is around and/or what can be enticed to grow in this area.

The current owner has stated he has grown corn on this property. Recently, he has cut away a large area in which food can be grown. Or perhaps some small sustainable houses and a barn could be placed in the area? The opportunities right now are wide open....can you save it perhaps from a developer who would create a wasteland and either put up a McMansion or another community of trailers? Hey, they pay big bucks for a view of Mt. Washington, which this property has on clear days.

It should be noted that right behind the property there are 3 other 1 acre properties that are for the taking. Two of the properties are formally in foreclosure and one will soon be in foreclosure. All three properties have a lot of open land to raise gardens, some chickens etc. The one property abuts against the property I am talking about above, and is a neighbor to the author. The other two are across the street. In their backyard is woodland and a steep declining hillside.

We would love to turn this area into a demonstration project of self-reliance to help people learn they don't need to be as dependent on corporations for food, clothing and shelter. This would be an excellent opportunity for younger couples and families to set the stage for a more sustainable, equitable and just future for the sake of future generations.

The 50 acre lot is being sold by Charles B. MacDougall
10 Richmond RD
Litchfield, ME 04350-3478
207-375-6271

The author of above is Burl and Merry Hall
41 Katherines Way
Sabattus, ME 04280
207-522-2606

Barbara R.
123bubbles
Oakland, ME
Post #: 71
Awesome opportunity Burl. What is the elevation of the area? In which direction does the hillside face? Do you know of the natural soils in the area? Just a few questions for starters. smile