addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 9
I've also relied on sprouts for my greens /live food during winter... mostly mung, alfalfa and broccoli. I do find the prices per oz at area health food stores outrageously expensive, so if anyone knows of a reliable source, please share that info. Ted, depending on the temperature you keep your house during winter (mine is at 60) you can succession grow baby lettuce under grow lights that are continuously adjusted to be closely above the growing plants. It could be interesting to try different things, again depending on the temperature of the area you are in, the humiditiy level you keep when you are heating the living space, etc. Please let us know what you find in the Solviva book.
Scott D
user 7715836
Buxton, ME
Post #: 2
Hey ted, This link is for a store very close by in Topsham which carries all the equipment you would need and hopefully good advice. http://www.urbangarde...­

There is a wealth of info about indoor gardening on the internet including Maximum Yield magazine online which has pdf. files of whole issues... http://www.maximumyie...­
I hope this helps.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 261
A dwarf lemon?!!!!!

I'd love to grow that indoors! I'd like to use the two lower stands at either end of our bow window, in the room where the solar hot air comes in too.

Do you know the botanical name of a dwarf lemon, Lisa? Just took a quick peak, but it's too late to spend more time on this for now. I'm VERY interested, however.

http://www.fourwindsg...­
A former member
Post #: 5
If you have geraniums in your garden, they do very well inside and can stand cool/cold nights too. I don't know if you want to bring them in as they can get very large during the winter months. I then replant them outside. I know impatients have a fungus that they get if you bring them in so they can't be transplanted for the winter. I have tried other plants, but not any food-types other than herbs. I think that my lack of care did them in, but not the geraniums. I also have a lot of cacti plants that just go on and on regardless of what I do or don't do to them.
Merry H.
Merrymaker
Portland, ME
Post #: 9
Dwarf Citrus Farms
Kilgore, Texas 75662
sales@dwarfcitrus.com sales@acornsprings.com

says:
"Of all dwarf citrus trees, the Improved Meyer Lemon tree is one of the hardiest. And it's one of the most productive, for its size. It's not a true lemon though. In fact, the mature fruit of the Meyer lemon tree looks more like a large orange with a small nipple. It makes a delicious lemon substitute nonetheless. The Meyer Lemon flesh is a light orange-yellow color, with juice sweeter than that of most lemons. And, best of all, it is a small compact dwarf tree which can grow well in most U.S. climates. Our dwarfed Improved Meyer Lemon makes a striking addition to the patio in the summer, resembling a topiary. When it's time to move the plant indoors, the sweet perfume-scented blooms, followed by ornamental fruit, brighten just about any cold spell. Introduced to the United States (from China) in the early twentieth century, it was discovered by Frank N. Meyer, who was on assignment from the USDA as an agricultural explorer."
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 263
Thanks a lot Merry!
After reading the above I went online and was ready to order it. But of course I should have realized that a dwarf tree is a TREE! I saw that it could be kept as short as 4 ' - but...we just don't have a spot where I can keep a dwarf tree this size in the house!

Grateful anyway,
Elaine