align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Transition, Relocalization, Post-Carbon Wrap-up

Transition, Relocalization, Post-Carbon Wrap-up

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 680
As many of you know, I have been fascinated and inspired by the positive and tangible efforts being made around the world to transition beyond our current era of fossil fuel dependence and many of the cultural downsides that it has made manifest. (I highly recommend The Geography of Nowhere by Kunstler for a great analysis of how fossil fuels have not just influenced but directly created the way that we have come to "organize ourselves in the landscape.")

In fact, these relocalization or "transition" efforts inspired me to start this group over three years ago! The Transition Towns movement, in particular, grew directly out of permaculture work and it is so exciting that some of our own group members (Alastair and Pat) are working directly on Transition efforts now.

So whether it is town by town or approached on a regional level, my hope for the new year is that you continue to be inspired and supported by this group so that you can, perhaps, start to spread the "transition" beyond your own backyards and into your communities.

Here is my wrap-up of important links to get you thinking along these lines. Perhaps we should have a meetup in 2009 for people who want to take this to the next level in their communities?

Transition Initiative Portland and the Transition Training Center (Alastair and Pat!)
Transition Maine networking site (create a free login and participate if you like...it's just getting going)
Transition Network - sort of the master WIKI site where it's all organized right now...
Transition Culture - the excellent web site and blog of Rob Hopkins
Relocalize.net­ - an excellent site for communities wanting to relocalize
Post Carbon Cities - a great site for communities who want to address the twin threats of peak oil and global warming