Searches for recent and upcoming public events hosted by Meetup groups. Its search window is the past one month through the next three months, and is subject to change. Open Events is optimized to search for current events by location, category, topic, or text, and only lists Meetups that have 3 or more RSVPs. The number or results returned with each request is not guaranteed to be the same as the page size due to secondary filtering. If you're looking for a particular event or events within a particular group, use the standard Events method.
At least one of the required parameter(s) must be supplied with the request.
For geo-based requests, you may provide a location in one of three ways. By
zip, or by
city, and optionally a
state, if the provided country has states.
Some groups, while remaining private, still wish to show some information about their events. You can include these events in results using the
limited_events request parameter.
- Changes the interpretation of the "text" field from OR'd terms to AND'd terms
- Return events in the specified category or categories specified by commas. This is the category id returned by the Categories method.
- A valid city
- A valid country code
- Request that additional fields (separated by commas) be included in the output
- A valid latitude, limits the returned group events to those within radius miles
- Include limited event information for private groups that wish to expose only a small amount of information about their events. This includes just: id, name, utc_offset, time, duration, yes_rsvp_count, waitlist_count, group, visibility. Value must be true or false.
- A valid longitude, limits the returned group events to those within radius miles
- Radius, in miles for geographic requests, default 25.0 -- maximum 100. May also be specified as "smart", a dynamic radius based on the number of active groups in the area
- If searching in a country with states, a valid 2 character state code
- Status may be "upcoming", "past" or both separated by a comma. The default is "upcoming" only
- Events that contain the given term or terms somewhere in their content. The terms are OR'd by default. Separate terms with " AND " for events that have combined terms. To have terms automatically AND'd, set the "and_text" to true
- Format of the description text, "html" or "plain". Defaults to "html"
- Return events scheduled within the given time range, defined by two times separated with a single comma. Each end of the range may be specified with relative dates, such as "1m" for one month from now, or by absolute time in milliseconds since the epoch. If an endpoint is omitted, the range is unbounded on that end. The default value is unbounded on both ends (though restricted to the search window described above). Note: to retrieve past events you must also update status value
- Return events in the specified topic or topics specified by commas. This is the topic "urlkey" returned by the Topics method. If all supplied topics are unknown, a 400 error response is returned with the code "badtopic".
- A valid US zip code, limits the returned groups to those within radius miles
- ordering is approximate and will not exactly match the values in the "distance" field.
- (default order) ascending
- you will likely want to specify "desc=true" to get the best trending results first.
Organizers and hosts can see if the event was announced
Optional field, number of comments posted to the event
UTC creation time of the event, in milliseconds since the epoch
Description of the event
Distance in miles from the search location, if one was specified
Event duration in milliseconds, if an end time is specified by the organizer. When not present, a default of 3 hours may be assumed by applications.
Optional fields parameter limited to organizers and event hosts, if false, event reminders are disabled
List of members hosting the event, only returned if requested in the fields parameter.
The host's member id
The host's member name
URL of the event's page on meetup.com
Optional fields parameter which returns "true" if the event is featured and "false" otherwise
Fee info returned when payment is defined
Accepted method of payment. Can be one of "paypal", "amazon", or "cash"
Amount of the fee
Currency accepted for fee
Fee description, typically "per person"
Fee label, typically "Price"
"1" if payment is required to RSVP, "0" otherwise
Group that is hosting the event
Optional field. Category of this group
- Numeric identifier of the category
- Display name of the category
- String identifier of the category
Approximate group latitude
Approximate group longitude
Optional field, photo for the group hosting the event
- URL for the photo at its maximum size
- URL for a standard size of the photo
- URL for a thumbnail of the photo
"open", "approval", or "closed"
Optional field returned when fields parameter is set to group_membership_dues
- Currency fee is declared as
- Numberic fee value
- Description of fee
- Array of acceptable payment methods. May be one or more of "amazon_payments", "paypal", "credit_card" or "other"
- Array of payment refund policies. May be one or more of "none", "member_leaves", "group_closes", "member_banned", or "custom"
- "2" if dues are required to join, "1" if dues are required to RSVP, "0" otherwise
Optional field. Topics related to this group
- Topic ID
- Topic name
- Unique keyword used to identify this topic
Group url name
What the group calls its members
The number of members in attendance according to the attendance taker. This may be 0 if attendance has not yet been taken
The information provided by the event host for "How will members find you there?"
The event id. May be numeric or alphanumeric, always served as a string
Optional field, "true" when the event has been saved in a simplified HTML format, "false" otherwise.
Number of maybe RSVPs including guests
The name of the event
optional fields parameter which returns the ID of the photo album for this event, if one exists
Optional field, number of photos posted to the event
URL of the event photo, if one exists
"published" or "draft" only visible to organizers
Only past events have this field, an aggregate of anonymous ratings
Average of collected ratings
Number of ratings been collected
Optional fields parameter limited to organizers and event hosts, if false, member RSVP alerts are disabled
The number of "yes" RSVPs an event can have before members will be added to the waiting list
Conditions set by the organizer, only returned if requested in the fields parameter.
UTC time that RSVPs will no longer be accepted, though organizers may close RSVPs earlier
Flag indicating that RSVPing is closed for the event. 1 is true 0 is false
Number of guests members may include in their RSVP, 0 or more
UTC time that members may begin to RSVP
The organizer-defined terms for refunds. If this is defined, you must provide the authenticated member a way to access this information before they can RSVP. They will need to agree to these terms before they RSVP
- if member_cancellation is present, it's relative to this many days before the event
- additional refund policy notes
- list of one or more of the following. 'no_refunds' if the organizer will not issue refunds', 'member_cancellation' if the organizer offers a refund for member cancellation, 'event_cancellation' if the organizer offers a refund if the event is canceled, 'event_rescheduled' if the organizer offers a refund when the event is rescheduled
Wait list handling when RSVP limit is reached. Value may be one of "auto", "manual" or "off"
Indicates if the currently authenticated member can RSVP or not, only returned if requested in the fields parameter
Optional field with details particular to the authorized user, only present if requested and user is a member of the hosting group
list of actions the current user may perform, potentially: "announce" to announce the event to the group's members, "attendance" to view or take attendance for the event, "payments" to mark members as paid if the event is a paid event, "publish" to publish a draft event, "edit" to edit the event information, "edit_hosts" to edit the hosts for the event, "delete" to delete the event, "rsvp" to RSVP yes or no to the event, or "wait" to get on the waiting list (using the same RSVP methods). For events without a waitlist, you may see either "watch" or "unwatch" to watch for opening spots for the event when the event is full. If an organizer requires membership dues to rsvp and the authorized member has not paid theirs, "dues" will be included
Boolean indicator of the current member's check-in status
The authenticated member's payment status. This may be one of 'none', 'paid', 'partially_paid', 'payment_pending', 'echeck_pending', 'refund_pending', 'partially_refunded', 'refunded'.
Boolean indicator of whether the current member rated the event or not
The authenticated member's role in within the group, if any. This may be one of: Organizer, Assistant Organizer, Event Organizer, etc.
Member's RSVP, if any
- Array of answers to event survey questions
- number of guests
- "yes", "no", or "waitlist"
For events without waitlist you may check your watchlist status with this property. Values may either be true of false.
Optional field. If hosting group is private, this will return the group's short_link
Optional field, description of the event in simple HTML format.
"cancelled", "upcoming", "past", "proposed", "suggested" or "draft"
Optional "fields" response property for event with surveys
Flag indicating if a response to this question is required to RSVP. Currently always false.
UTC start time of the event, in milliseconds since the epoch
Returned when "timezone" is provided in fields parameter. This represents the universal timezone identifier for the host group
Indicates the trending rank within the current result set. The best rank is zero, increasing rank values are less "trending". This value is only returned if requested in the fields parameter
UTC last modified time of the event, in milliseconds since the epoch
The local offset from UTC time, in milliseconds
Venue, if selected and not hidden
Line 1 of venue address
Line 2 of venue address
Line 3 of venue address
- city, state, country
City, Country and if in US state of venue
- lat, lon
Geographic coordinates of venue
Phone number of venue
true if the editor of the event altered the original venues pin location, false otherwise
Zipcode if, venue is in US or Canada
Set to "members" or "public". The "venue" element will not be present if the visibility is "members" and the current authenticated user is not a member of the group hosting the event. This value is only returned if requested in the fields parameter
Event visibility: "public", "members" or "public_limited". Events in private groups that do not expose limited information are visible only to that group's members and should not be made public.
We should do this because...
Number of yes RSVPs including guests
Photography Meetups happening within the next week. The time range is unbounded on the left but status defaults to "upcoming":
Meetups around New York within the past week. The time range is unbounded on the right:
Meetups mentioning racquetball in the past or next week: