addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Meeting Locations - please note change!

Meeting Locations - please note change!

Debra S.
Deb_Schmidt
Harrison Township, MI
Post #: 19
We will be meeting at Bamboo Detroit on Brush Street in Detroit for September - thanks, Bamboo!

For October and November, we have tentatively obtained space at another Midtown Detroit location.

Wondering why the meetings are moving? Why don't we just pick a place and stay there?

Simple. No, complicated actually. Where?

Andy Makar was kind enough to obtain access for us to meet at Lawrence Tech University in Southfield for most of the past year through his working there - thanks, Andy! Due to changes in his involvement with the group and rules set by LTU, we need to find a new venue.

Deborah has been talking to a number of people about potential new locations in the Metro Detroit area. She lives in Canton. Debra lives in Harrison Township. You live on all sides of our huge metro area, too!

What's a convenient location for everyone?
We asked that question in the survey that went out a few months ago. The responses indicated that people liked the Southfield location we had, but would also like/prefer Midtown, Royal Oak, Rochester. With only about 40 responses from a group of 600, we don't have a true picture of an ideal part of Metro Detroit for meetings!

We have been fortunate in the past to meet at a local church, the Detroit Public Library, Lawrence Tech University and other places.

Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup locations – like all meetings – are subject to venue availability. Even if one of us had a basement big enough to hold everyone, we wouldn't want to have to clean the house and set up folding chairs to have to you all over while crossing our fingers that Comcast or U-Verse didn't decide to take the day off. And you might be allergic to damp basements or not feel any more comfortable going to a stranger's home than we'd feel having you over. :)

So, that takes care of the free and semi-easy meeting spots.

What are we ideally seeking in a venue?

- Free
- Space for 25-75 people with tables and chairs
- Projector and screen
- Free wi-fi to handle a group
- Handicap access
- Weekend availability

Meeting spaces for groups like ours are typically available through

- educational facilities (if someone key in the group is associated with the college)
- large churches (if someone key in the group is associated with the church)
- libraries (rules vary all around Metro Detroit, but many restrict reservations to local library card holders)
- co-working spaces (these vary by size and location, but are often a good possibility)
- restaurant banquet rooms (may require food/beverage purchase or other fees)
- conference centers (fees range around $100/hour+ and not all available on weekends)
- community centers (variable rules about local residents and fees for the rooms)

It takes a lot of sleuthing and sometimes sweet-talking to obtain a free venue for a meeting like ours! It looks like we do have a good arrangement for the rest of the year in Midtown Detroit.

If you have comments, connections or recommendations, feel free to share them here.

Debra and Deborah
A former member
Post #: 3
I really want to be part of these cool mtgs as I start my blog. But, Detroit is so far (gas!!). I called the Novi library...(ur right...being a resident makes it cheaper and Im a card holder too). The room that holds 30 people is only $20/hr and can be reserved. If ea of us laid down $1, we could stay 1.5hrs. Ur gas is worth more than $1!! And, its a way safer area. I realize its West but heres the good news: traffic is so easy on 696W vs. 75N.
Debra S.
Deb_Schmidt
Harrison Township, MI
Post #: 20
Thanks for your input, Jean. We do try to find a place that will let us reserve for several months out.

It does get a little more complicated when you start to try to cover costs by collecting on the spot, especially because we typically have a significant number of no-shows. Since late last year, we have had no-charge meetings, though we could revise that in the future if costs go up.

Already, Deborah pays $19/month to Meetup just to be able to offer the meetings and that cost is not covered by attendees.

Frankly, Novi is too far for me. We have such a big metro area that any location is a compromise for someone.

I have gone to a couple of other meetings in Midtown recently and been pleasantly surprised by the energy in the area. There's really getting to be a tech scene there.

People may find it helpful to carpool.