Midlands Comedy, Music, Philosophy, Walking & Writers Message Board › COMEDY: Edinburgh Fringe Festival

COMEDY: Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Shaun
user 5220642
Priorslee, GB
Midlands Comedy, Music, Movies, Philosophy, Walking & Writers

Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Friday 26th August - Sunday 28th August 2011

Hi all,

Following on from the success of two last years - lets revisit the Edinburgh Fringe Festival again in 2011!

Using the Free Fringe Guide, I've just put together a 'suggested' itinerary which by my reckoning equates 15 gigs and what must be approaching 50 comedians over the course of the weekend - FOR FREE! Having a rough itinerary seems to have worked well in previous years, so there is never a dull moment - but it isn't set in stone, that's the fun part of the fringe once you get there!

Performances are spread over many of the city's pubs and clubs. So there will also be time to fit in a few drinks I'm sure ;-)

SUGGESTED GROUP ITINERARY

Friday 26th August

The Right Dishonourable Dickie Daventry

The Tories are back! Character comedian Dave Lemkin brings you the long awaited memoirs of this former cabinet minister. Also includes a masterclass on how a Conservative should canvas on a council estate.

Taking the Piff

Razor sharp satire and character comedy, walking a tightrope between social comment and pure bad taste.

Yorkshire Comedy Cabaret

Big show, big room, big laughs from Yorkshire's top comedians.

Rik 'N' Mix

Rik Carnanza introduces four comics from across the fringe.

Alex-Clissold Jones, Chris Turner and Matt Richardson

Three of 2010's 'So You Think You're Funny' finalists. Expect deadpan one liners, maniacal anecdotes and cerebral logic.

All the Fun of the Unfair

Four exciting new acts doing an hour of brilliant stand up for free!

Dan Hoy's Stag Do

My name is Stan Hoy and it's my stag do! Join me and two other comedians, it has to be better that being tied to a lamppost doesn't it?

PBH's Free Fringe

London's Soho Comedy Club takes residence in Edinburgh for a nightly line-up of the best comedians in the world!

Saturday 27th August

Making Life Taste Funny

Get a taste of how funny life can be with north-east comedians Graham Oakes and Sean Turner. Stand up comedy ranging from observational to the surreal, with special guest comedian.

Gagtanamo Bay

Semi-professional comedian and Edinburgh Fringe stalwart Duncan Hargreaves are joined by satire legend Oliver Potatoes and newcomer Ipswich Brunel.

AA Batteries (not included)
Sharp gags and intelligent observations. Three of the circuits best new comedians.

Brit hot comedy

A showcase of four up and coming comedians from all corners of the British isles.

Gangsters of Laugh

'But I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you?' A triple bill hour of free stand up.

London is Funny Presents

Four London comedians every night, handpicked by the London comedy bible!

Three Comics to Midnight

Three comics, one bar, free entry. Simple.

Sunday 28th August

Having a lye down! Sunday will be free and easy. We may catch the odd show. Sunday lunch and then it'll be time to think about heading home mid afternoon onwards (depending on individual travel arrangements).

Accommodation

So far, group members have booked accommodation via Edinburgh University Halls (Edinburgh First) - either Pollock Halls or Holland House. Some are ensuite, others are room only with shared bathroom (though you don't ever seem to see anyone else). Book via www.laterooms.com (or www.apodo.co.uk for the ensuite while stocks last!). This would be for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday). However, if these rooms sell out, you could try travelodge or secure another room via laterooms.com.

Transport

As the event is not far off now, if you havent already made arrangement, please make your own way to Edinburgh. We can all meet at Edinburgh Waverley train station or elsewhere in the city centre. Some members are getting the train via New Street and the east coast main line early on the Friday morning. Others are traveling via Stafford-Preston-Edinburgh route, with changes, depending on where we live.

Please do drop me a line and we can sort something out.

cheers

Shaun (organiser)

What is the Edinburgh Fringe?

One of the largest arts festivals in the world, the Edinburgh Fringe has over the years even outgrown its parent event, the Edinburgh International Festival, which runs in tandem. Its origins go back to 1947 when eight theatre groups turned up uninvited to the International Festival and were obliged to find alternative venues 'on the fringe' in order to perform. 'The Fringe' has grown to immense proportions and with many organised and impromptu events, it often gives unknown artists their first break. Claiming to be the world's largest festival, the organisers sell well over a million tickets each year for exhibitions, theatre, music and, the largest category of all, comedy acts. Performances are spread over hundreds of venues including many of the city's pubs and clubs.