addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Michigan Drupal Web Designer & Developer Meetup Message Board › Drupal 7 Released

Drupal 7 Released

Alex F.
alexanderfisher
Group Organizer
South Lyon, MI
Hey Everyone,

If you haven't heard, Drupal 7 was released yesterday and is now available.  Check it out:

http://drupal.org...­

We'll be celebrating and discussing the new release at the meetup January 12 and also at the Metro Detroit Drupal User Group on January 18.

--Alex

www.commercialprogression.com

Drupal Web Design & Drupal Optimized Hosting
Brian
Brian1234
Warren, MI
Post #: 1
So let's start the discussion! Has anyone else tried D7 yet? I played with it a bit and overall I like it. Still, I'm about to start a new site and think I'll be using D6. My reasoning:

D6 is super mature while D7 has a number of bug issues open for version 7.1. With 7.0 they have worked out all 'critical' issues that were discovered, but there are many 'major' issues left. It's said that D7.0 is way better than the initial release of 6.0, that's a good thing but it doesn't help me ATM.

Modules are still being updated for D7, it looks like even Views has just been promoted to alpha status.

Also, one of the developers has told me that D7 performance out of the box is 'dog-slow', but when things like MongoDB and APC or memcache are used, it's performance is very nice. For those of us using shared hosting, these may not be options.

- Bri
Jason E.
user 13650367
Toledo, OH
Post #: 1
I installed it on my local host to see if my custom theme worked with it. But I can't get it to work. My theme uses Zen so it's a sub theme of that. I got Zen theme for version 7, but it seems they didn't update the read me text on how to set up the sub theme. So I may look for a theme already made and customize it for myself to put on my personal website so I get use to using it.

Don't know that I will switch any of the websites I run though.
Alex F.
alexanderfisher
Group Organizer
South Lyon, MI
Post #: 9
Some great additions to D7 I've enjoyed so far:

* Built-in image support
* Built-in CCK (now called Fields/Fields UI)
* New field types like "Long text" and "Long text and summary"
* Administrative roll
* Better administration menu (similar to the admin_menu from D6, but more customizable)
* Administration theme/sections are modal and overlaid on the current page you're on
* Links to module permissions and configurations right from the modules page
* Cleaner and simpler site configuration

Some popular modules still aren't out of alpha or beta phases so I'm hesitant about making the move just yet, but chances are any sites that are in the early stages of planning now may be using D7 by the time design and implementation comes along in the next couple months.
Brian
Brian1234
Warren, MI
Post #: 2
I agree, the module additions are good. I had hoped for Pathauto but maybe it's not included because there's a few other modules that go well in combination with it depending on setup.

I didn't like the modal admin at first but it quickly grew on me. It's nice how you don't have to leave the page you're on.

About my performance concern take a look here: http://tag1consulting...­ - while it's a limited test, the most interesting part is the chart (D6 vs D7 w/o accellerators).