milwaukee vegan meetup Message Board › view from end of the year/decade, top foods

view from end of the year/decade, top foods

JP
jpea
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 72
Hard to believe another year and decade has just about passed. Veg*nism is losing ground worldwide, but rising, at least, in Europe, flatlining/stagnating here in the U.S. The influence of the raw food movement, despite some of the groupthink/hype/exaggerated claims, had the biggest effect on our foodscape. So with that in mind, I thought I'd get people to list the top foods for vegan health, below.

With all the news of successully synthesized meat, Cargill's synthetic casein (major component of cheese), synthehol, etc., it looks like biotech will have the biggest effect on food, period... "cruelty free meat and dairy" anyone? Even PETA is offering a multi-million dollar prize to whomever brings it to market first. When the sythesized stuff arrives in force, if they can deliver it at a third the price of slaughtered meat, or conventional dairy, as they say they will, I do fear that a window will close. Gone will be most of the financial impetus for many to innovate new vegan foods. And yet, considering the sorry state of, say, veggie burgers, who knows what is left to accomplish with what we already have available. How about a veggie burger with the protein of spirulina (which can be much higher than meat), the lysine of quinoa, the omega-3 of flax... then for flavor, the umami of kombu, spinach (or mushrooms for another flavor), and mesquite? The opportunities are still huge, now.

Top Health Foods

1. flax seed- It's not a grain, it's a seed that is way more nutritious (for anyone who has read Doug Graham's "Grain Damage" book about the harmfulness of cereal grains). I keep soaked flax always on hand and try to use it everyday as the base for my green smoothies, it's just that essential (see Dr. Udo Erasmus for the science behind it). Not just for the omega-3s, but the protein/amino acid balance (something that needs to be minded), the fiber, antioxidants/lignan, etc. You will find flax used to make crackers in some raw places, and it is hard to make these crackers taste good, nevermind their texture. Raw restuarants/juicebars that use soaked flax as a base for smoothies anywhere? probably zero, alas. Actually purslane (the short plant that grows in between sidewalks) is an even better source for omega-3s, and the EPA form of it no less, into which supposedly some people have trouble converting ALA (maybe those who convert late to a veg*n diet?). Purslane is huge in the mediterranean, very tasty in the specific salad in which it is featured. Here, it is a weed, to be trampled under foot. Try a weeks worth of omega-3 laden food, and see the difference in your hair, skin, and overall well-being.

2. berries- Darker, red to purple, ones may be best (as opposed to, say, green grapes), but whatever the kind, get them in you. Blueberries and blackberries usually have low pesticide use (whereas strawberries and raspberries are high in pesticides), if you have to go with conventional, frozen. You can get wild blueberries frozen for not too high a price. Here's where the groupthink/marketing hype of the raw food movement has gotten out of hand with "superfoods", like goji berries. Some will try to sell you a dried out berry from across the globe (which may have been processed at high temperatures, otherwise improperly). The merchants unscrupulously will quote you the ORAC test for fresh goji berries in their ads, touting them as "superfoods", even though they do not sell fresh. Meanwhile, the raw foodists paying $10-20 per pound for these superfoods, pay no attention to the wild berries that wind up rotting in abundance, come fall, more powerful berries for free, like chokecherries/aronia berries, mulberries, wild grapes. So watch out for "superfoods" labelling/groups/meetups/multi-level marketing, some of whom like to denigrate the produce grown on farms, or even wild(!). See if you can even catch the slightest natural buzz from any of the superfoods powders/dust free samples at health conferences/expos, I challenge you.

3. bok choy/tatsoi/low fat calcium sources in general- Calcium is really important for bones, teeth, the brain, etc. Asians have been doing vegetarian WAY longer than we have, and when they do, they eat lots of bok choy, tatsoi, chinese greens that are high in calcium. Sesame seeds are good, too. The calcium helps with weight loss/regulation, neurotransmitters, etc., it's a must. Use it in smoothies, marinated, fermented, etc. Don't fight thousands of years of history/progress, it already happened. Also, blackstrap molasses (not raw I know) is a great source of calcium AND iron, I use a lot of that, too, a great deal for the money.

4. pumpkin seeds, pecans, and/or brazil nuts- These are high in zinc, brazil nuts are also high in selenium too, and they make a great nut cheez/butter. They might be the most essential nut, though I do use almonds (important for weight loss), and cashews for taste.

5. citrus- For vitamin C, weight loss (esp. grapefruit), lemons are great for detox, esp. in water after you wake up, the acid in these fruits can activate alkaloids in other foods.

6. roots like maca, ginger, ginseng, and burdock- for winter eating esp., great for the skin/beauty, fighting off infection, all about keeping balanced in the presence of extremes, adaptogenic

7. spices like turmeric, coriander, rosemary, oregano, cayenne pepper, etc.- These are the top five I see researched, many more to consider.

8. melons- supposedly the gentlest, best way to "break your fast" when you wake up

9. broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, other foods which are anti-cancerous- These are better off fermented, or steamed, it must be admitted, to prevent GI gas, aid in absorption. Also on the list of anti-cancerous foods (which are probably better off steamed) are mushrooms, which may have liver toxins that the heat can break down.

10. fermented foods- use probiotics to make them, but there are some great ones in stores now, like Rejuventave Foods, Sunja's, Dr. Cow's seed and nut cheez (or just make your own, we've done 14 different seed and nut cheez for years), Daiya fermented cassava vegan cheez (not raw, but decent taste), etc. see this: http://science.slashd...­

11. foods that may be important in smaller quantities on a regular basis, like sea vegetables (source of iodine, all the minerals, plus many sea veggies are flavor enhancers like kombu), coconut (perhaps we need a small bit of saturated fat in our diet after all?), wild food (to not eat the food that is native to where you live seems like a serious omission- do you really want to live in the world of the film, SILENT RUNNING? That may be the question of the century).

And take your B12 supplements, preferably sub-lingual tablets... my experience is only anecdotal, but convincing to me.
JP
jpea
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 84
new rice variety doesn't need cooking, can be eaten raw-
news.yahoo.com/video/science-15749654/­scientists-invent-rice-that-doesn-t-need­-cooking-18036005

greater than twenty percent of the world's calories comes from rice so this could be pretty freakin huge

more evidence that many low temperature/raw foods are on their way, will lead to fewer greenhouse emissions, and more nutrients, better health; it's a great career path to take, too, from one who knows ;o