addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Community Bark's Milwaukee Dog Lovers Meetup Message Board › ~ WHERE TO BOARD YOUR DOG (and where NOT to)

~ WHERE TO BOARD YOUR DOG (and where NOT to)

A former member
Post #: 2,464
As far as Dog Boarding with open play ---

Thumbs Up for DogTired in Glendale (next to Sprecher Brewery).
They are supervised 24/7 / no cages / they have supervised sleepovers!
Great place for dogs who are friendly toward other dogs.

If you have a small dog --> Beware North Shore Pet Connection.

Read more here: http://milwaukee.city...­

Note that this was not the first death at this place - due to the lack of supervision.

I am interested in finding more places to board my dog in a home environment / that is fenced.
If anyone knows of reliable pet sitters who do not place tiny dogs with large ones (mine is 75lbs) -- please add your feedback here. *Andrew: I think you have a reference, but I can't find it at the moment ---

Thx
Toni
Miriam F.
user 20440961
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
Thanks for this advisory - We just used Sky Dance Pet lodge for a two week stay for our 6 month old goldendoodle . It has nice large individual areas inside and huge yards outside where pups are separated by age and temperament. The outside areas are shaded and have lots of romping rom. Our pup really seemed to love it. He came back with very good puppy play manners and was happy as can be. http://skydancepetlod...­ It is way west near Oconomowac, but we wanted a place where he could be outside and with other dogs/puppies, but could also be inside in his crate when he was tired, since he is just a puppy. We have worked hard on crate training so we didin't want him to be in a "kennel" at night and then come home and not want to be in his crate at night or when we go out during the day. We have also heard good things aobut Autumn Glo which is in Fredonia http://autumglo.com/i...­ but have not seen it personally.
Miriam F.
user 20440961
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 2
FYI according to the workers at North Shore Doggy Daycare on Florist Ave in glendale it is owned by the same owner as North Shore Pet Connection http://northshoredogg...­ I visited North Shore Doggy Daycare and there were two areas for dogs - one for small and one for large animals.
A former member
Post #: 2,467
That is true. They owned by the same person.

North Shore Doggy Daycare may be safe because of the separation of large and small dogs, but I still have reservations about sending anyone to a dog day care owned by the person who owns NS Pet Connection.

There was a similar accident with a tiny Yorkie there several years ago, but apparently the owner either hasn't separated the sizes, or she is hiring people who are not actually supervising the play. Probably both.

Large dogs aren't necessarily aggressive/dangerous when around tiny dogs ---
They may simply mistake a 4 lb dog for a dog toy and get too rough while playing.
That's why good leash free dog parks have separate areas for small dogs.
A former member
Post #: 7
I have used Paws Inn in Muskego to board my dog,MacGyver.They do keep all dogs separated and only dogs brought in together will play together.I actually like this idea because although Mac is usually quite friendly he can be a bit bossy.Plus,after having multiple dogs and some incidental stitches from the occasional oopsie-sometimes injuries occur even when dogs who are very familiar play together.Their prices are reasonable,the staff is wonderful,and they have outdoor play areas where they exercise each dog individually.They have indoor/outdoor kennels but they also offer indoor suites for your dog[at an additional price]with cots and tvs by availability.
A former member
I own Spirit of Love Pet Care. Although most of our business is going to the client's home, I will take up to 4 dogs (maximum) into my own home. I have a huge fenced yard for off leash play and we walk them daily. We will separate dogs as requested or needed during times they are not directly supervised. My home is located on the outskirts of Cedarburg. Love and tummy for the dogs...free of charge. :)
Judith O.
user 43353182
Milwaukee, WI
I have been very happy with the Pet Connection. She separates small and large dogs. I did hear of one death a year or so ago. That's extremely sad but in reality, accidents happen in every facet of life. No guarantees.
I noticed someone who mentioned Autum Glo which I also used with a different dog. Very nice as well, but Pet Connection is closer and I think they get more play time. I have a month long job out of the country and a 7 month puppy who will spend that month at Pet Connection. I am happy that he will be there.
A former member
Post #: 2,545
Because there have been at least 2 deaths of tiny Yorkies at NS Pet Connection due to lack of supervision / and the mixing of different sizes of dogs --- they may have changed their practices to prevent further tragedies.

Even so, with so many other options out there for dog boarding, the deaths at NSPC reflect a lack of good management and decision-making.

I think people should be aware of these incidents so that they can make an informed decision.
A former member
Post #: 2,546
Written up in today's WSJ, here a new way to find arrangements for your dog while you're away! biggrin

http://dogvacay.com/M...­

http://www.rover.com/...­

Cee
user 139676702
Milwaukee, WI
I own Top Dawgz Dog Services. It's cage free boarding (and home atmosphere boarding.) It's $20.00 / night.