Community Bark's Milwaukee Dog Lovers Meetup Message Board › Canine Good Citizen Test

Canine Good Citizen Test

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi All,

Is anyone else trying to get their dogs ready for the Canine Good Citizen test? I'm looking for a training partner (partly because I think my dog will have more fun that way and partly so that we can practice the tests that include other dogs). I have a pretty hyper almost 2-year old golden retriever who is no where close to being ready for the test, so I'm looking for someone else in the same boat.

Thanks,

Brittany
A former member
Post #: 42
I've thought about training for the CGC as well. I have two Labradors that are such sweet girls but the big one is a little nervous at times... the little one would be perfect but she is still hyper at 4 years old.

I'd definitely be interested in getting together since it seems we are in the same boat. smile
Leanne
LeannBanas
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
Hi,

I haven't heard of this, what is the canine good citzen test?

I have a Siberian Husky and she goes to nursing homes (we have 2 relatives living in them) and the people just love her and she is so gentle, doesn't bark, doesn't jump. She also loves little kids. The only thing is she has epilepsy so we can't get involved in a lot of fun stuff because she can't have all those shots required as they can cause seizures. So I am always looking for something to involve her in as she loves to socialize!

If this is more about doing certain tricks, than I wouldn't be interested because huskies aren't good about doing tricks! I know retrievers and labs are very good with followiing directions. I always envy those owners walking their dogs off-leash and their dogs stay by them and listen to them.....mine would be 100 yards ahead of me! Ha, ha!

~ Leanne

A former member
Post #: 3
Leanne,

The Canine Good Citizen Test is about teaching basic manners. It's just a little less intense than the test for therapy dogs (which, ultimately, I'm hoping we'll pass). In Canine Good Citizen, the dogs have to pass 10 mini-tests (listed below). Given that your dog already visits nursing homes, it sounds like she probably has all these skills down. Let me know if I'm wrong and you're interested in working with us. At this point, if my dog tried to visit a nursing home, she would probably end up knocking a few people over (unintentionally--just out of excitement).

Tests:
1. Accepting a friendly stranger
2. Sitting politely for petting
3. Appearance and grooming
4. Walking on a loose leash
5. Walking through a crowd
6. Sit and Down on Command/Staying
7. Coming when called
8. Reaction to another dog
9. Reactions to distractions
10. Supervised separation

Thanks,

Brittany
A former member
Post #: 8
I took a class for the good citizen test.It was with Johanna at the doggy office in Brookfield.I think it was 8 weeks with the test at the end.She is a great trainer we really enjoyed the class. Desiree
Leanne
LeannBanas
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 2
Hi Brittany,

Well, she would pass all except #7, 9 and 10 probably! But I am not sure. When we visit my relatives at the nursing homes she is a celebrity, they all love her! She has frail elderly ladies kissing her on the top of her head. She just amazes me sometimes. She has had a group of 4 very young boys run up to her and surround her and pet her all over and she just stands there, no jumping, no barking. She is from a rescue, so we didn't know what to expect, she had a rough first year and a half, but she has been one of the most gentle dogs I have ever owned. I would LOVE to find a dog walking group in my area as she LOVES to socialize (and so do I) but it seems there isn't something like that in Franklin. I just meet people on our walks and we become friends, so that is nice.

Good luck to you! Your dog will do just fine, they are much better at following commands than huskies! Thanks for letting me know about what is required. Who does the testing though?

Thanks again,
Leanne
A former member
Post #: 2,053
"We haven't been to any meetups yet but are looking forward to our first one on 4/25."

? I can't find anything on the calendar for 4/25 --- Is something happening on April 25?
A former member
Post #: 5
Sorry, I copied that note from another group and forgot to remove the last line. It's update now.