Hudson Valley Motorcycle Riders Meetup Group Message Board › Bridgestone Tire WARNING

Bridgestone Tire WARNING

David H.
user 8254641
Tolland, CT
Post #: 231
...Severe cracking of the Bridgestone BT45 tire, starting at a central point and radiating outward. There was similar damage on the other sidewall, but at a different location on the tire. The tire was still holding air, and I was lucky I caught this during the pre-ride inspection of the bike before a planned 1000 mile weekend. This tire was less than 6 months old and had a 2012 manufacture date.

READ THE WHOLE PIECE AND PICTURES OF THE TIRE AT THE LINK.

http://www.klr650.net...­
andy t
user 7434801
New Rochelle, NY
Post #: 20
David, thanks for the info.
Andy
SnafuVFR
Garden City, NY
Post #: 497
I see this story is spreading across a lot of the boards. Cool
Andy
Andy_S
New Canaan, CT
Post #: 110
As for not riding below freezing. What BS! Why don't I need to leave my Accord home when it's cold and Fred Flintstone on stone wheels?

I had a similar problem with another tire manufacturer. I bought a new pair of Conti-Motion tires for my GL1800 Goldwing. They started to scallop right away. Friends recommended that I check the air pressure, and I was using the Honda specs of 36 and 41 PSI front and rear. Eventually, they started to fall apart, they were throwing off chunks of rubber, and I swapped them out for Bridgestone Exedra's. Conti rep called me back and diagnosed underinflation over the phone. I challenged him to produce Conti recommended inflation pressures and he could not--the tire is not even listed on their US website. He told me there was nothing he could do for me. I think the carcass is too soft for the acceleration and braking forces that a 6 cylinder engine and a 904 lb. motorcycle plus passenger can create.

No wonder Dunlops are made with such firm carcasses. I hate the Streetsmarts II on my Ninja, they rattle my dental fillings and are too firm when the bike is leaned over and I hit a bump. Stands the bike right up. Now I know why Kawasaki softened the frame on later models.

I'm not buying touring tires from Continental ever again. I swore off Bridgestones when my BT020's used to have me sliding when the temperature drops at night, but these Exedras for the GW are OEM and are great, so far. I now run 41 and 42 PSI front and rear.