add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Star Trek Into Darkness - Review (includes plot spoilers)

Star Trek Into Darkness - Review (includes plot spoilers)

user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 785
Firstly hi to Tim and Lindsay who made debuts tonight and looked like they enjoyed themselves and we hope to see them again soon. Our other attendees also met in the pub beforehand, Gill T, Mark, Kate, Andrew, Dee and Kat, and an unexpected great late addition, Colin, and we met Robin and David inside. Jayne was fashionably last but certianly not least, so a great turn out for the 12th Star Trek movie, but the 2nd in the new re-boot.

It is quite difficult for me to be objective when reviewing this film, except to say I don't like *everything* about Star Trek, for example The Undiscovered Country is a crap film, and there are even episodes of the original series that are poor (Nazis on other worlds), whilst I don't like most of Deep Space 9. Having said that I am a big fan, and in terms of pure enjoyment this is a 10/10 flick for me, and also, I suspect, for the other 2 Star Trek geeks present tonight, Dee and Kat. Uber Star Trek fanatic Hannah wasn't at this showing purely because she is on a mission to see the film 10 times this week, and doesn't need to be distracted by meetup love struck. I shall look forward to hearing her appraisal of it cool.

Gathering some feedback from those that made The New Inn afterwards that are not trekkies, I suspect the 8/10 that this film is gaining across the board in all the press is probably accurate. There was probably too much action overall, and we could have done with more in-jokes and perhaps a slightly more complex plot. What excites me about the re-booted franchise under director J J Abrams is that the new cast have now earned recognition as decent replacments for the actors in the original series, a mighty fine achievement when you consider their iconic status. Its true that William Shatner will always be Kirk, but Chris Pine is doing a great job in *also* being Kirk, whilst some of the rest of the crew, in particular Zoe Saldana as Uhuru are already supplanting their older acting equivalents (Nicholle Nichols) in the original. This is great from my viewpoint, because there could be loads more to come, and ideally a new television series.

Dee was especially pleased with Simon Pegg as Scotty, for example, whilst Colin has started to forgive him for his crazy Scots/Irish accent. Of all the cast I think that Karl Urban is doing the most splendid job, emulating DeForrest Kelley's Dr Leonard McCoy. Zachary Quinto has the hardest job of all, emulating Leonard Nimoy as Spock, that's the pointy eared one, but having Nimoy cameos in these films was a very good idea. Hell, if Spock recognises Spock as Spock, who are we not to?

<Plot spoiler alert>

The start of the movie was absolutely superb, as a mission to save a primitive indigenous species on a world threatened by a massive volcanic eruption goes wrong, and Kirk breaks the Prime Directive, revealing the ship to humanoids because its the only way to save Spock's life, as he is trapped in the volcano. This results in Kirk's demotion. (I am hoping that these humanoids will re-appear in a later movie, a great makeup effort).

The main thread of the film is the seemingly inevitable war with The Klingons, and the re-animation of Benedict Cumberbatch's character from a 300 year cryo who is going on the rampage. He has hidden agendas of his own (to re-assemble his entire crew and wreak vengeance on the Federation) as do the Admiralty at Starfleet (to use his superior intellect to make weapons that will ensure victory in the forthcoming war, which they are even prepared to start now they have a tactical edge). Peter Weller is good as Admiral Marcus, and we have a new addition to the Enterprise, with Alice Eve playing his daughter Dr Carol Marcus.

Although I liked all the action scenes, my particular enjoyment of the film stems from the interaction of the characters and the comparison with the earlier equivalent, together with the humour levels, and nods to incidents from earlier Star Trek movies and programmes, so I was excited to see a tribble on board, which of course references The Trouble With Tribbles, a famous episode from The Original Series, which was also intertwined in a Deep Space 9 episode, one of the best of any Star Trek television programmes ('Trials and Tribble-ations') so I got quite excited at that point, as did Kat and Dee. Geeky!

Now that the actors are established in their roles and the new franchise is properly up and running I want to see the next movie take some risks, and reduce the action in favour of some intelligent plot devices, possibly stemming from the wealth of material in the previous Star Trek back catalogue, including lots of references to that material for fans to spot, and to certainly up the humour level between Spock and Kirk. The end of Into Darkness sees the USS Enterprise beginning the first ever '5 year mission to explore new life and new civilisations, and to boldly go where no-one has gone before'. In a way the first two movies have been the groundwork, but the shackles should be off now, and there is no reason why the 3rd movie should be even better, assuming the cast and director remain. 8/10