Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Love Eternal - Quick Review

Love Eternal - Quick Review

Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 847
This movie was adapted from a Japanese serial killer story about a necrophiliac, but developed from chrysalis to pupor (as Hannibal Lecter liked to describe change) into an interesting story about a dysfunctional young man who becomes interested in suicide chat rooms and assisted death. His obsession stems from a suicide of a popular girl who he found hanging from a tree in the woods when he was younger, and from his father's death at around the same time. When his mother also dies, he gets some relative freedom and begins to prey on young girls who are looking to be assisted in their suicide attempts.

After the death of a schoolgirl and a young woman, he, in turn. brings their bodies home before acting out some fantasy roles, that also include implied necrophilia, as well as dressing them up and taking them for a spin round the park.

Its not quite as strange as its sounds, because the director keeps things on a non-judgemental basis, and the central character is quite believable at first. I did have a problem with the rather intrusive soundtrack, and also in believing that the character could find redemption from a simple friendship with a woman who recently lost her child. Look, you are either a serial killing necrophiliac suicide assisting obsessive nutcase, or you're not (I'm not, just to mark your card biggrin )

The director was here to answer some Q&A and I managed to get him to confirm that he had changed the way the character developed himself in the screenplay, whereas the original Japanese novel had the character 'flatlining' as he called it, ie. not undergoing any kind of cathartic change.

Personally I would have thought it more realistic for him to go down a route of more horrendous actions, perhaps moving from people who genuinely want to kill themselves, to those who are just having a bad hair day, and I think we could have found some macabre humour there. If the director is seeking a lighter ending then why not have him pull back from the brink of some truly hideous deed, rather than see the light because his new girlfriend is empathic and pretty with it. An enjoyable movie though, but I think in many ways a lost opportunity. Apparently the script/plot was re-written a number of times. I have a feeling one of the earlier versions might have been the one to go with. 6/10