Chicago WordPress Meetup Group Message Board › What Are Some of Your Favorite WordPress Plugins ?

What Are Some of Your Favorite WordPress Plugins ?

Marcie
msmarcie
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Bruce Montgomery suggested sharing the plugins with which we've had positive experiences. Therefore, I would like to start with a few that I share on Shorty: Your Chicago South Side Resource at www.goshorty.net and As NOT Seen on TV at http://asnotseenontv....­.

1. Feedburner Feedsmith - Great with Google Feedburner application
2. All In One SEO - Search engine optimization
3. Fluency Admin - Organizes your dashboard to make it easier to manage
4. Optimal Title - Puts title of Post first and blog title second
5. Shockingly Simple Favicon - makes it really easy to add favicon to blog
6. Smart YouTube - easily insert YouTube photos

Please share your favorite plugins along with what it does and how it works.
A former member
Post #: 4
Well, I'm rather partial to my own plugins, of course:

• Dave's WordPress Live Search
  • Dave's External Search

but I do have a list of basic plugins I install whenever I set up a new WordPress site:

• WP Super Cache
  • Google XML Sitemaps
  • All in One SEO Pack
  • Executable PHP widget
  • Add to Any: Share/Bookmark/Email Button
  • Google Analyticator

Marcie
msmarcie
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
How do plugins 1 and 2 work?
A former member
Post #: 5
Dave's WordPress Live Search turns the search box on your WordPress site into a "live" search. As people type, it uses AJAX to run searches against your content and return results right on the page, without having to click "search" and go to another page.

You can try it out at http://suburbanchicag...­ . Try searching for "attention wizard".

Dave's External Search is a sidebar widget that hides itself unless you're looking at WordPress's search results page. Then, it uses the search terms that were used to search your WordPress content and does the same search against your Flickr, YouTube, or Twitter content.

This was written for a client who runs a trade show. Her staff was running around the show floor with iPhones uploaded photos and tweeting about what was going on, but they didn't have time to write actual blog entries about what was going on until they got back to their hotel rooms at the end of the day. This plugin gives them a way to show some of that content once it becomes available, even though it lives outside WordPress.
A former member
Post #: 1
Let's see, if I pull up a blog I'm rebuilding (http://MyCookingShow....­) you'll find at least these:

Sociable: Provides post-based icons for a multitude of social media links, as well as various utility tasks such as exporting the post to email or pdf.

Advertising Manager: If you are displaying ads, this is the best plugin for managing them. I use Google AdSense, Microsof PubCenter, AdBrite with no problems.

All in One SEO Pack: previously mentioned. But goes hand-in-hand with....

Google XML Sitemaps: Creates the necessary sitemap file, keeps it updated. Easy Peasy.

Google Analyticator: this plugin will save you tons of time connecting Google Analytics accounts to the associated
blog.

DISQUS Comment System: There are a few good ones out there, but I really like DCS because it allows your audience to use their existing social media accounts to log in, has a very clean interface and additional plugins/widgets that can help boost participation (most comments, etc.)

Twitter Tools: An Alex King creation. A tour de force in making sure your blog reaches as broad yet relevant audience as possible. Now includes the ability to shorten your URL using your Bit.ly account

WP-DBManager: Lester 'GaMerZ' Chan is another veteran WP plugin developer. Ad-hoc or scheduled backups of your WP database. What? You don't do backups?! Let me tell you about an entire blog I lost recently (see first sentence).....

WPtouch iPhone Theme: Ok, this is probably not necessary, but it's a theme disguised as a plugin for making your blog look stunning on the iPhone. Course, I don't use an iPhone, but my friends tell me http://DeployAdopt.co...­ looks beautiful....

Cheers
A former member
Post #: 2
How do plugins 1 and 2 work?

Caching plugins speed up the loading of your blog by creating an 'image' of the available content on a regular basis and displaying it to the user, rather than going through the (potentially) time-consuming process of pulling all of the content from the database and creating pages on the fly. I personally don't use it on every blog, and it can conflict with some plugins or the ability for users to always see the latest content, but worth being aware of.

XML Sitemaps creates a file that Google and other search engines use as a literal map or directory of the subdirectories and files it should look at on your site when indexing. Otherwise, it would just look at your home page and just walk away....