add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Nashville Hiking Meetup Message Board › Camping question

Camping question

A former member
Post #: 2
My girlfriend and I want to take her 4 kids camping in E Tn or NC. 3 of the kids think "roughing it" is sitting in a tent beside the lake. 1 child thinks "roughing it" is a cabin with a shower. Does anybody have any suggestions about where to go to accommodate everybody? We'd like someplace with activities for the kids - hiking, swimming, etc. Thanks! Keegan
Gary W
user 9939775
Murfreesboro, TN
Post #: 42
The Smokey Mountains are fun but no showers in any of the National Parks. If you stay in a private camp ground outside the park you get showers, some have cable TV, internet, game room, pool, etc. Tubing down the river is fun our family always loved to do that. Lots of activities for children in Pigpen Forge. Some of the private camp grounds have small cabins for rent with showers a short distance away.

There are also some camp ground just across the TN border in NC. I don't have a map or any of my camp information handy but about 40 miles north of Bristol TN is a place they call Little Grand Canyon you can rent Kayaks and spend the day going down the river the rock cliffs are about 800 ft along both sides of the river water is not deep this time of the year 1' maybe. Slide Rock it fun too on the south TN border about 90 miles east of Chattanooga.
Kelly S.
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 278
For a first camping trip with kids, make sure you have enough activities to keep it interesting for them. Take a look at Raccoon Mountain in Chattanooga or other camping opportunities in that area. During the day you can drive to fun stuff and by night you can do the whole camping experience.

Don't bite off more than you can chew for your first big camping trip with those kiddos!
user 8295450
Murfreesboro, TN
Post #: 30
What about semi-roughing it?

My kids (all with different outdoor preferences) and I like these little cabins on Santeetlah Lake. Showers are a few steps away.

It's a beautiful area of NC with lots of water fun for this type of weather.

Have fun.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks everyone. This is very helpful.