addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Nashville Hiking Meetup Message Board › Grand Canyon Hike Nov 18 to 20

Grand Canyon Hike Nov 18 to 20

A former member
Post #: 46
I can not find the thread about the Grand Canyon hike. Here is some information I thought you might like to know. I saw this on Arizona TV weather about 10 minutes ago.

Weather report for high elevation and mountains today is 30 mph winds and chance of rain. Tomorrow 40 mph wind, chance of rain and snow. Blizzard conditions at high elevation.

Below is a link for Grand Canyon weather. The rainy season according to the people in AZ starts about now. I have no clue what they are calling rainy season here in AZ for sure it is nothing like TN rainy season. A lot of the rain her in AZ is after dark while everyone is asleep next day you can not tell it rained. Most rains are pretty extreme flash flood type rain for 20 to 30 minutes then is it over. Solid rock does not soak up water so any rain can turn into a BIG river real quick. Stay out of low areas during rain. A rain 40 miles away can turn into a big problem for hikers and campers at low elevations many miles away.

About 1985 I was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon first week of Oct several hugh thunderstorms come up within 20 minutes each about 2 hour apart but none of the rain reached the bottom of the canyon because the low humidity caused all the rain to evaporate before it reached the bottom. People at higher elevations got wet.

40 mph wind is pretty bad at the top of the Grand Canyon about 8000 ft but not very bad most of the time while hiking down/up because the canyon blocks the wind in many places. After setting up your tent be sure to put about 250 lbs of rocks inside while your gone on a day hike other wise the tent might be gone when you return.

James L.
Nashville, TN
Post #: 63
I talked to Frank Will with the Middle Tennessee Hiking Meetup a couple weeks ago about a Grand Canyon hike.