addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

nature lovers meetup Message Board › Heat wave--please put water for wildlife

Heat wave--please put water for wildlife

Sankar
user 3046110
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Hope you are staying cool. Please help our backyard wildlife stay cool.

Thanks to Carol for sending me this:

Hi Everyone,

With the weather getting very hot today (near 100), and hotter yet tomorrow (a heat index of 105), I'd like to encourage everyone to put out water for wildlife! Or more water for wildlife - if you're already doing so regularly. It's very simple to do, and our bird, critter and insect friends outdoors really need our help.

To help you get started, here's my easy method for providing water to wildlife...

I use one of the large, thick plastic saucers that go under potted plants and keep fresh water in it, along with a large rock to serve as a landing pad (sometimes for birds, sometimes for insects, etc.) so creatures can stop by for a drink. I fill the saucer about 2/3rds full (birdbath depth, 2" or 3") and place it on the ground under a large shrub or low tree - or some other sheltered/canopied place. This way birds can bathe or drink and then fly to shelter. All manner of wildlife come by - squirrels, birds, chipmunks - and at night, night critters come by for a drink. It's clear to see how much they need and appreciate water on a hot day. And, not to worry, there's no risk of mosquitoes developing so long as you change the water once every several days. In hot weather like this, it's apt to run low much sooner than that.

Personally, I keep out water for wildlife year round and see everyday how creatures benefit from it. In our highly developed landscapes, there's not much natural water supply available. On hot days like these, setting out water becomes all the more important.

This current heat wave will be affecting the whole Mid-Atlantic region, as well as our neighbors to the northeast in New York and New England. (I've posted CNN's weather report just below my message so your can see what up, and where.)

On behalf of myself and all our wild friends, thank you ahead of time for looking out for our neighbors outside! And also for sharing this message with many others - here and in the other affected regions - if you would be so kind!

:) Carol

WEATHER REPORT:

(CNN) -- A heat wave is expected to form over the mid-Atlantic region this week as forecasters warn heat indices could reach the triple digits. Eight states are under heat advisories beginning Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service.

Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, southeast Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey are expecting the heat index to reach from 100 to 105 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday, said National Weather Service meteorologist Rick Watling. Heat indices combine humidity and temperature to estimate how hot the weather feels to the body.

New York, Vermont and Massachusetts might also see near record-breaking temperatures in the triple digits. According to the National Weather Service, the current record high temperature for June in Manhattan's Central Park is 101 degrees, which was reached on June 27, 1966, and June 29, 1934.

Last summer's heat wave taxed nation's power grid The National Weather Service expects the heat wave to begin Wednesday and continue into Friday morning. A cold front expected late Friday, however, will leave the mid-Atlantic region with cooler weather into the weekend,

Watling said."Heat, of course, is a cumulative effect," Watling said. "One hot day people can tolerate, but a couple, that's when you start seeing people getting sick because they can't cool off, they can't get a break."