node.sc Message Board › Hosting Services

Hosting Services

Darren O.
OddenCreative
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 24
Other than Pantheon and Acquia and the other well known, what host companies do you use and like? Why?
Brian L.
cpsubrian
Group Organizer
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 3
Hey, Darren. Sorry, missed this one earlier.

We've used Nodejitsu's (https://www.nodejitsu...­) platform to quickly deploy prototypes and alpha-quality products for testing/feedback. Overall a very smooth experience.

For debugging, we've used Joyent's cloud services. Their machines use SmartOS (developed by them, I believe). It is specially tooled to give you deep access to node's internals via dtrace. You can get extremely verbose output and produces things like CPU Flamegraphs (http://blog.nodejs.or...­ ).

For production we always self-host on AWS. One great thing about node.js is that the technology requirements are both simple and flexible. These days we generally use Ubuntu 13.10 and the following user data (entered when you boot the instance).

https://gist.github.c...­

I'd also love to hear about more hosting options and people's experience with them.
Jordan G.
user 147425382
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 1
I have used a bunch of different hosting options over the past 15 or more years, most good, some not so great, and some better suited for developing while others suited for production.

Right now I have a shared hosting account with A2 Hosting running CloudLinux (CentOS 6) that I have one live app on, but I use it more for developing and testing. I have had it for about 4 months now without a single issue. The couple times I have contacted them for support (once at 4 am) they got back to me within 5 minutes or less, were helpful, nice, and actually knew what it was they were talking about. Most of the bigger guys (godaddy) don't have any real support and have the shared hosting plans so locked down you end up wasting all your time trying to make things work. So far I would highly recommend them, although I can only speak on the shared hosting. They also have VPS, Cloud, and all the usual hosting services.

I have a "Droplet" at Digital Ocean This is a great place to check out if you havent. They have promo codes all over the place so I actually have never had to pay a dime. I have an active promo code for $10 if anyone needs it let me know. I am doing my Node developing here on Ubuntu 14.04 which took all of about 2 minutes to setup a get live.

I have a few boxes setup at Pagoda Box I have mostly used these boxes for developing with the Laravel framework. It took me a while to get used to the way everything works but now that I am, im hooked. Pagoda is a great resource that every web developer should check out. And the best part is ive never spent a single penny or even had to give them my credit card info. If you do anything that will use bandwidth and get some decent traffic then you will pay but the money will be well spent because they have a lot to offer and at reasonable rates.

I have also used Joyent's cloud services. Honestly, I have an account and have clicked through the site but have yet to actually use their services. After reading what Brian wrote about them I think ill try them out.

There is also AWS and Rackspace which I have used many times and highly recommend. I only use them for large personal projects because anything smaller can go anywhere and be just fine for less money. I almost always use one of the two when doing contract work because they are reliable and I don't have to worry about putting a client into a bad situation.

I know there are some others like Pagoda Box but cant think of the names right now. Im always interested in hearing about what others are using and what has worked, also if anyone knows of any free or cheap hosting options (cloud or not) for developing I would love to hear them.