nodejs Message Board › Update and some community resources

Update and some community resources

Peter B.
peterbell
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hi All,
Hope you're having a great summer and looking forward to our second meetup in July on Wednesday: http://www.meetup.com...­ We've got a big waiting list, so if you signed up but can't make it, please change your RSVP so people can plan on attending.
Anything you'd like to talk about or see at the node meetups? Reply to this email (it'll go to me directly). I just quit my day job to focus on some other opportunities, so I should have a little more time for organizing the meetup and I'd love to get more, better content!
Below are two community resources I wanted to share. One about FounderDating if you're thinking of starting your own thing, and one about a mentoring program if you'd like to give back and help more people to get involved in programming.
Best Wishes,
Peter
######################################­###
Get Started on a Side-Project or Company
I know a lot of you are starting or are thinking about starting something. Now you can connect with the right team on FounderDating (no, it's not romantic) . FD is an invite-only, online network for entrepreneurs to start side projects & connect with cofounders. I see a bunch of you already on there already. The network is/has:
1) High caliber people - everyone is referenced/screened 2) 50% engineers 3)  Reach - the network spans N.America, UK, Israel.
Deadline is 7/23 for NYC  Apply now (you don't need an idea) > http://bit.ly/143sI5t­
######################################­###
Technology professionals needed to mentor the next generation of NYC’s tech community!
Learn more and start the online application today at www.imentor.org/become-a-mentor­

iMento­r is a nationally recognized high school mentoring organization that partners with high schools in NYC to give every student a mentor who will support them on their journey to college. Last year iMentor partnered with the The Academy for Software Engineering (AFSE), the first school in the city created to prepare students for careers in tech. Fred Wilson (VC @Union Square Ventures) founded AFSE in 2012 to create more opportunities for students to develop the skills and networks they’ll need for a career in NYC’s growing tech community.

AFSE, located right in Union Square, is also striving to diversify the pipeline of tech talent in the city and expose their students to a wide variety of careers within tech. The majority of students come from low-income communities and will be first-generation college students.

We have limited spots currently available at AFSE so please apply ASAP if you would like to be matched there. Additionally, we have many students in technology at the 19 other schools that iMentor partners with, and we are aiming to provide mentors who work in tech for those students as well. The need is great, and please know that your participation will make a tremendous impact.

How does the program work?
Structure & Flexibility (6-8 hours a month):The program offers enough flexibility for over 2,400 busy professionals to participate while ensuring students get the structure and guidance they need to reach their goals.
Weekly email: mentors and mentees exchange one weekly email on a topic iMentor provides.
Monthly event: mentors and mentees meet once a month for a set evening event (6-8pm) at the high school that iMentor organizes (we give 4 weeks advanced notice).
24/7 Support: mentors are supported every step of the way with training sessions, networking events, and coaching from iMentor staff.

How do I get involved?
1) Start the online application today at www.imentor.org/become-a-mentor­ - FYI the application takes about 15-20 minutes to complete because it is used to match mentors and mentees.
2) Attend a fun, interactive evening training at the iMentor office (located conveniently @Wall St. subway stop 2/3 & 4/5)
3) Complete a phone interview and get your fingerprints taken for a background check
4) Matching takes place in October!

Questions? Contact Larry Mahl, Volunteer Manager, Community Engagement at Larry@imentor.org­
Program Requirements: Applicants must have a college degree. Matches last 3-4 years
· Quick note about the match length. We understand that no one knows exactly where they will be in 3-4 years, but we do ask that applicants are confident that they can commit to a minimum of two years.

If you cannot participate in the program this year, please support us by sharing this volunteer opportunity with your network. We are looking for over 1,700 new mentors to match with students in the fall!