NovaRUG/Web Platform DC Message Board The Northern Virginia Ruby Meetup Group Discussion Forum › What OS/Server Desktop Would You Buy?

What OS/Server Desktop Would You Buy?

A former member
Post #: 6
Recently I have been fighting with Substruct trying to get it to work on WindowsXP with InstantRails. I think I'm ready to throw in the towel and get another desktop or laptop with a unix system, or maybe a MacBookPro. It seems every rails friendly server I read about has some kind of problem.

If you could purchase any system dedicated for Ruby on Rails development (but not for serving it out at an enterprise level) what would you buy?

Thanks for any and all advice!smile
salamfall
user 5123460
Charles Town, WV
Post #: 1
Hey Mary,
I think getting a low grade PC, completely barebone might be a good investment, load redhat, FC , or Centos on it, connect it to your home network, give it some private Ip's and you should be set, you can even connect it to the net if you internet router or modem has DHCp on it. load RUby on it , ROR, rubygems, I think you will love it. I think it's a must have, I highly recommend it, with very little investment you can have that up in no times. wait a minute maybe no investment at all, in every place I worked before there is a computer mortuary ( u may need to dust up a few hardware items, here and there) and put together something that boots up and has at least 6 Gig of storage, it will do the trick.

the advantage is when working on loops if you messup, you wont have to kill processes on your desktop or even reboot it. if you have a play server or machine, you can just kill the process in linux easily as compared to a windows OS.

The reason why I do most development on NIX boxes is.. you have total control of your box, basically you get as much control as you want.

I hope that helps.
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks, Salamfall! That is very helpful advice. I haven't used Unix in 10 years so there will be some getting used to it. Is there any reason you didn't mention Ubuntu? What about the pricey Mac OS?
salamfall
user 5123460
Charles Town, WV
Post #: 2
I am not that familiar with mac OS, but I've heard great things about it. maybe someday I'll play with it
Todd
user 2803839
Reston, VA
Post #: 13
I used to be a big Windows guy, and also did some dabbling in Linux. I've always enjoyed Unix, from my days with Solaris, but always had a hard time getting really into Linux.

I switched to Mac OS X, and have never been happier. I do a lot of Rails development on my PowerMac G5, and it is great. It is nice because you have a full UNIX implementation accessible via the Terminal, but for day-to-day stuff, you've got a great full-featured and professional graphical interface to pretty much anything you would need. I find it incredibly easy for even a computer novice, but great for the Unix guru.

I personally use Locomotive, MySQL, and Text Mate on my Mac for most of my development.

Sorry for the late reply! ;)

I hope this helps to give you another perspective.

Good luck,

Todd