The NYC Jazz Meetup Group Message Board › Recommended Music

Recommended Music

Closed to new replies

Beth Z.
user 2510278
New York, NY
Post #: 175
Vanderlei Pereira

One of the most sought–after musicians on the contemporary Brazilian jazz scene, Vanderlei Pereira combines a prodigious knowledge of Brazilian rhythms with impeccable technique and a distinctive touch. He has appeared and recorded with numerous outstanding artists. He has also toured throughout Brazil and Russia.

Vanderlei has recorded extensively in both the U.S. and Brazil in a wide variety of styles (see discography). He received high praise from Modern Drummer magazine for his performance on Nando Lauria's "Points of View": "Pereira's . . . interpretation of Zydeco-like baião, the martial ciranda and more syncopated maracatú, and the driving, straight-ahead xote, offers glimpses of the richness of Brazil beyond Bossa, and demonstrate some great rhythmic ideas . . . "

A respected educator, Vanderlei has taught at the Drummers Collective and has given master classes at the Berklee College of Music, the New School, Rutgers University, University of the Arts (Philadelphia), the University of Delaware and in Brasília. He is an official endorser of LP Percussion.

Check him out here
Beth Z.
user 2510278
New York, NY
Post #: 176
Susan Periera

Vocalist, pianist, percussionist, composer and arranger Susan Pereira, a New York native, has been one of the most versatile musicians on that city’s Brazilian music scene since 1983. While deeply rooted in traditional Brazilian styles, her broad background in jazz and world music has enabled her to develop a distinct musical personality. Fluent in Portuguese, she is a singer who blends a silky, rich tone with superior vocal technique and is a particularly skilled lyric interpreter and scat singer. Susan’s percussive piano style is enhanced by her mastery of complex Brazilian rhythms and her original Brazilian jazz compositions are a popular part of her performances.

Formed in 1991 by Susan and Brazilian drummer Vanderlei Pereira, Sabor Brasil has established itself as one of the most popular Brazilian ensembles in the New York area by fusing traditional Brazilian styles with contemporary jazz. Susan Pereira and Sabor Brasil regularly thrill audiences with their dynamic performances that draw upon influences ranging from hot samba to cool bossa nova, from the elegance of chorinho to the exotic rhythms of Bahia and modern Brazilian jazz. Their début recording Tudo Azul (Riony Records) was released in 2007 and features the core band joined by special guests Claudio Roditi on trumpet, Hendrik Meurkens on harmonica, Romero Lubambo on guitar and Luis Bonilla on trombone. Produced by Susan, the CD includes five of her songs and one each by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Milton Nascimento, among other selections.

Check her out here
Beth Z.
user 2510278
New York, NY
Post #: 177
Ari Hoenig

As a drummer, Ari Hoenig's success has been unprecedented. Few have risen so quickly and deservedly into the upper ranks of the jazz. But it wasn't always clear that drumming would be his calling. Growing up in Philadelphia PA, his parents influence led him through a variety of alternative musical experiences.

Ari feels fortunate to have had the attention and guidance of his mentors and teachers, especially Ed Soph, Ralph Peterson, Carl Mottola, Rob Zollman and John Riley. Hoping to pass on some of what he has recieved, Ari teaches at the New School for Social Research and Manhattan School of Music, both in New York. He gives clinics and lectures at music schools and universities worldwide and writes a regular educational column for Modern Drummer magazine. In collaboration with bassist Johannes Weidenmueller, Ari is currently finishing a book about metric modulations (Mel Bay Publishing.) He and Johannes often give workshops together on the subject.

“My favorite part of being a musician”, Ari says, “is the process of developing a dialogue between players within a band.” Looking towards the future, he hopes to carry on that process, and to continue growing both as a musician and a band leader. Of course, there is no growth without change. “There will be some surprises around the corner,” he says.

Check him out here.
Beth Z.
user 2510278
New York, NY
Post #: 180
Renaud Penant

In his own words:

I was born in Caen, Normandy, France.

After a lesson with the legendary Jimmy COBB in 1992 during a visit to the United States, I decided to move to New York. I finally was able to do so in 1995, and have been living here since then.

I have studied here with Joe CHAMBERS, Charli PERSIP, Joe STRASSER and Joe FARNSWORTH.

I have performed with musicians like Joe MAGNARELLI, Grant STEWART, Bob CRANSHAW, John WEBBER, Bobby PORCELLI, Mike LeDONNE, John FARNSWORTH, Ralph LALAMA, Mike MULLINS, Sacha PERRY, Joe COHN, Zaid NASSER, Jerry WELDON, William ASH, Roy MERRIWETHER, Dan NIMMER, Ugona OKEGWO, Rob BARGAD, Adam SCONE, Pat BIANCHI, Annette St JOHN, Satoshi INOUE, Carla WHITE . . .

For two years I played for the Saturday Jam Session at Smalls with the John MERRILL Trio, and my regular engagements have included weekly gigs at Smoke with my (beloved) trio, with Steve ASH and Mike KARN.

I recently recorded a CD and performed at Smoke with the Joe FARNSWORTH World Rhythm Octet which features musicians such as the legendary Curtis FULLER, Ray MANTILLA, Steve NELSON, Jim ROTONDI, Eric ALEXANDER, David HAZELTINE, Anthony WONSEY, Nat REEVES and Abdou M’BOUP.

I also performed at Smalls in March 2006 with the Chris BYARS' Lucky THOMPSON Tribute project in a quartet setting that included the great John HICKS on piano and Ari ROLAND on bass.

I play every Sunday at the Harlem Col. Charles Young American Legion Post 398 with the Seleno CLARKE Organ Trio.

I play at Smoke for the Jazz Brunch every Saturday and Sunday with Steve ASH on piano and Chris HANEY on bass, and I love it!

Check him out here
Beth Z.
user 2510278
New York, NY
Post #: 181
Steve Ash

A native of Pittsburgh, PA, Steve Ash received his formal musical training at Indiana University, where he received his bachelor’s degree in Jazz Piano. For over twenty-five years he has resided in the New York City area and performed at many of the city’s finest venues. His experience includes steady engagements at the Rainbow Room and Windows on the World; two of New York’s landmark establishments. He has performed with many well-known jazz recording artists including Frank Wess, Jon Hendricks, Rufus Reid, Eddie Harris, Jimmy Cobb, Louis Hayes, Warren Vache, Harry Allen, Chris Connor, Annie Ross, Mel Lewis, Doc Cheatham, Ruby Braff, Vernell Fournier, Lewis Nash, Kenny Washington, Dennis Irwin, Loren Schoenberg, and Peter Washington. Steve was honored to be selected by The Kennedy Center and The U.S. State Department to tour West Africa and France with The Cynthia Scott Trio as part of The Jazz Ambassadors in 2004. His touring experience also includes performing at The Bern Jazz Festival with Warren Vache’s All Stars in 2001, an extensive U.S. tour with the Warren Vache big band in 2000, and The Caesarea Jazz Festival in Israel with The Harry Allen Quartet in 2006. His recordings include The Steve Ash Trio "Everything I Love", Warren Vache’s “ Swingtime,” the Metropolitan Bopera-House, “Still Comin’ On Up,” The Loren Schoenberg Big Band with Barbara Lea, and the Neal Miner Sextet, “The Evening Sound.”

Check him out here