Dear friends on the Ruby on Rails network,
Could you help me with a big favor? I'm working with a smaller nonprofit organization. Time is of the essence on this one. Immediate (even weekend) help would be appreciated.
We need to chat for 15-20 minutes with a world-class Ruby on Rails developer/architect. Can you recommend someone?
We just need them to think of 7 to 10 questions we can ask potential Rails developers/architects to test their real working knowledge. (This is just an early step in our hiring process, it's not the whole interview.) Your person would recommend good questions, tell us what to look for in good answers, and we're done. This is a fun discussion for the right expert.
Questions should focus on fundamental principles and best practices, not obscure things. Questions should cover the following:
Ruby on Rails
Integration with social networks and external APIs
An email reply from them would be fine too. Feel free to forward this.
Thanks in advance for helping me (and the arts organization) out!
Here are the kind of questions we are looking for, but these were actual questions used for a PHP/Zend/Ajax/Security developer (not Rails):
1. What tools does Zend Framework provide that help prevent SQL Injection attacks?
2. Why is client side validation not good enough alone?
3. Describe MVC in your own words
4. Describe how jQuery and AJAX might be used to implement a preview pane in an email app.
5. What is an XSS attack, and what can you do to prevent vulnerabilities in your code?
6. What is a Cross Site Request Forgery attack, and how might it be prevented?
7. Which Zend Framework class gives information on posted parameters?
-- Chris Elam