NYC Vegan EatUP Message Board › What's UP - January Lunch Bunch, 2012 dues, Vegan Deals, RoundUPs & assistance

What's UP - January Lunch Bunch, 2012 dues, Vegan Deals, RoundUPs & assistance

Demetrius
aqknight
Group Organizer
Astoria, NY
Happy Twenty Twelve fellow herbivores.

Hope the first week of this new year went well for you and yours I'm steadily getting back in the groove after a fantastic week-long vacation to Iceland! Reykjavik actually has a growing veg scene in addition to all the other wonders it offers.

Thanks to the seven of you who joined me at Sacred Chow yesterday. Great to start off the year at my favorite NYC spot with familiar as well as new faces. Eagerly awaiting those lasagna recipes and tea shop referrals. (For inquiring minds, like you Susan V., I want to have a couple pitchers of varying decaf iced tea in the home + office frig.)

Also BIG thanks to the three who paid dues yesterday. Very very appreciated.
To pay 2012 dues, please click here. To pay lifetime dues, please RSVP and pay here.

Would appreciate learning if anyone here is willing, able and ready to e-publish a (bi-)weekly RoundUP.

Similarly, we're seeking more event hosts for lunch bunches, cultural activities, parties, home and/or one of a kind events. Pop an email over to Doug­ or myself if you're ready to wear a hosting hat.

As noted yesterday at Lunch Bunch, yes, I've been incredibly busy producing and otherwise working full-time (!!) on Vegucated­* and quite a lot beyond that too :-O As a result, I now generally skip closing tracking, and emailing you all, local vegan deals. Do want you to keep spending at vegan businesses though! Please know you can keep an eye on them for free watching the Vegan Deals' Twitter page or account. (You need not sign up for or even understand Twitter to see the deal posts.)

And for those who want to see Vegucated with a group of people, it's screening Thursday January 26th at 6 pm in the Artivist Film Festival. Advance tickets required with details here.

If you want to see it solo, buy a DVD today! You can also buy/rent it on iTunes (in both the USA and Canada), Amazon Instant Watch and a few other digital outlets.

*Vegucated is the new award-winning documentary that follows three meat and cheese loving New Yorkers who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks. Lured by tales of weight loss and health regained, they begin to uncover the hidden sides of animal agriculture that make them wonder whether solutions offered in films like "Food, inc." go far enough. Before long, they find themselves risking everything to expose an industry they supported just weeks before. But can their convictions carry them through when times get tough? This accessible, entertaining documentary showcases the rapid and at times comedic evolution of three people trying their darnedest to change in a culture that seems dead set against it.

Ok, that's plenty from me.

Cheers to 2012's Week #2.
Demetrius

P.S. Sprig & Vine in New Hope, PA blew my socks O F F. I think about them every 2,3 days now :-O It's like someone spliced together Angelica Kitchen and Dirt Candy, keeping it all vegan and two hours away from me. Their menu is seasonal and their prices are definitely cheap from a NYC perspective.