New York City German Language Meetup Group Message Board › American Patent Law, Anybody?

American Patent Law, Anybody?

Jens
NyBerliner
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 40
Hi All,

Is anybody working in American patent law? I have a friend in Germany who may need to apply for an American patent. Who can help?

Thanks!
Mark S.
NYCgameguy
New York, NY
Post #: 272
Not an expert, but know a little. You can start with my assessment: American Patent Applications make German Income Tax Forms look easy. And the process is very expensive and can take years. There is limited protection when a patent has been applied for and is pending, enough so that many companies release products with the patent still pending, because the document search has been completed by then.
Edwin R.
Letparadise
White Plains, NY
Post #: 17
There are many reasons to apply for a US patent. Some are clear-cut; others may be less obvious. In the last several years it has been possible to make a provisional application. This is a much less expensive option, and it holds your place, so to speak, for a new invention. Make sure you avail yourself of the services of an actual patent attorney and not a patent engineer. You must have good legal advice. Having said that, a person may be able, in my opinion, to make their own provisional application. That would be the best option for someone who has limited funds to put towards such a project. If you want the name of a patent lawyer I can give you the one I'm using right now. He is a solo practitioner and he seems to be up-to-date on patent law. If you go with a large firm you may get less personal attention and the prices will likely be much higher.