Post #: 264
OC-PHP Head Organizer William just sent me the following Meetup email which here I post in full (+reply to) since it seemed others could benefit from & contribute to it too
, +contained nothing confidential, & so William can reply back here (I wd post on OCAndroid
but William isn't (yet) a member so he couldn't post back):
From: Meetup William, thanks for thinking of me & OCAndroid again
Date: Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:21 AM
Subject: William sent you a message: Joint OC Android / OC PHP meetup
[EDITED: Private email inclusion removed. Not necessary to the topic.]
(as you also did
before for SCALEx9 which I then posted on OCAndroid
and elsewhere) especially now for a collaborative combined meeting of our Meetup groups
- Yes, this sounds great! And, yes, OCAndroid could fill the meeting with another 15 people, and possibly more (we're starting to overfill our conference rooms) depending on the topic. So what exactly is the topic(s) Amazon will present? You mention (suggest?) "Amazon is getting into Android big time nowadays with their Appstore and soon to be released much anticipated tablet." --great! Is that the topic? What exactly is the topic? A hint of a great match, I notice the official venue URL http://a2z.com/all-lo... says " Due to the tremendous growth and the successful launch of the Android Appstore the Mobile Team has recently moved [to here]" which would suggest indeed at least this venue's work is highly tied to Android
- Indeed, since it sounds good, I listed the event on OCAndroid but have not emailed it out --please review and post your comments there (to do so, just join OCAndroid --my next point) else post here. Including:
I've set the attendance limit for OCAndroid to be 25+waiting list (since you wrote "60 seat capacity and they are looking to fill this thing [and] I think OCPHP can easily pull 40--maybe" -good?
Pls answer any Qs in the listing that u can.
Once we know the topic & its connection to OCAndroid, I will be happy to email it out to OCAndroid.
- Especially for any collaborative meetings, it would help considerably if you joined OCAndroid, notably so u cd comment (above)+so I could make you an event organizer so you could be an event host; indeed I'm already a member of OC-PHP & since 2009. And by your sweetly writing "you wouldn't have to worry about not being able to go to an OC-PHP meetup because you have an Android one that night -- they'll be at the same spot :)", I also appreciate that you're noticing that I've been hard at work to avoid OCAndroid scheduling meetings overlapping OC-PHP, so enabling our members to also attend your OC-PHP events (including me!). But I'm guessing (since you quite remember OCAndroid but haven't joined us yet) that you don't think of Android much --BUT it looks like you're starting to pretty routinely&want to do joint, so hopefully wouldn't mind our email, which is pretty occasional. Note members of all Meetup groups appreciate clear profile pic (as enabling one to find the person in person: it is "Meet-up", after all), and some groups, including OCAndroid, require it, & most especially of any organizer; so it wouldn't be fair nor right for me say "not for you"; however I believe Meetup allows one to choose a different main profile pic for each group, so you wouldn't have to change your anonymous pic for your other groups (though naturally I certainly wish you would (put a real & clear pic of yourself), and I'm sure others would like that as well, especially when you being a Head Organizer --indeed, frankly, I fear your present pic gives the undeserved negative impression you suspiciously want to strongly hide your identity -when it doesn't feel like that's your intent); but again, this main-pic requirement is only for OCAndroid, so your other pics can be as anonymous as you desire. Just see the main-pic policy (of OCAndroid & other participating Meetup groups) and insure you can do that.
- You write "I know you have your cryptic style of writing but if you could just cut and paste it as-is when provided."
Naturally I can't promise I couldn't paste up just anything without even seeing it first, just as you couldn't either (being responsible for your group); but I'm gathering you really mean to say you don't want the thing reformatted unnecessarily, yes? And on that note,
I appreciate you sharing your feelings about my writing style and of course naturally I am concerned to hear you find some of my writing "cryptic" in style. Being pioneering, my writing style is sometimes unique, and is of conscious good intent for every area it its different; but, as would be the case for any pioneering, sometimes it still has rough edges and sometimes it's is too advanced to be immediately understood and sometimes it just doesn't work --so all the consequences of pioneering. And of course "cryptic" would at not be my intent, so what exactly do you find "cryptic" or that you don't like, so I can see what can be done to improve it and hopefully further please you & others?
- You write "I have been chasing this meetup down since I received a card from one of their technical recruiters at SCALE which was back in Feb" --congratulations! As I've certainly shared with in person, I am consistently impressed by the presentations you get for OC-PHP, and certainly wish there was someone like you to chase them down for OCAndroid. Most of my focus in OCAndroid goes towards local members really getting to know each other & networking and getting their individual problems solved, which has worked pretty we
Edited by William on Sep 9, 2011 12:49 PM
Wanted to chat about this direct but since you posted without me knowing or approving of my direct email being pasted (which makes me hesitant to direct email now as this is the second time you have reposted one of my emails on a forum) ... I will reply here:
1. Topic is not finalized. Hence the direct email, wanted direct feedback first BEFORE announcing anything so topics and everything else can be in announcement.
2. Sounds good with attendance setting
3. Congrats on your hard work with OC Android. Great this group exists. Yes though your comment about OCPHP moving to Thurs on our meetup page to accommodate the schedule and for a party night has been noted. However, OCPHP will remain on 4th Weds as it is set and approved with our monthly host. Parking can be tough on those "party" nights as well in Downtown Fullerton not to mention seating in the Matador Cantina can be tough as we experienced this when they had Taco Night Tuesday and we had Joe Cooper from Webmin that night. BTW, opinion noted, my pic is my pic and my members know I am a personable and approachable person. If they feel I am somebody lurking in the dark waiting to mug them, then that is their choice if they gather that from the pic. However, the activity and it existing beyond 5 years I think more than validates this groups professionalism and welcoming.
4. Comment noted. Your group. Your event postings. Do as suits your own group.
5. You've done a great job starting and continuing OC Android and why reaching out to you and inviting your members. Plus, Amazon asked if I could.
6. Not a member of OC Android cause I don't do any Android development currently but I am obviously aware and occasionally check the group out. I'll go ahead join but hopefully my pic doesn't warrant punishment for not following protocol and doctrine :)
User groups are nothing more than a bunch of people aiming for a few goals and that is learning and networking. These groups cannot happen without those who volunteer their time organizing like yourself and the community as a whole cannot happen with bickering over needless issues or political agendas among organizers. I think the goal of this thread has met its purpose (thus locking to replies) and I will be proceeding with just organizing the event with announcements going out and will be emailing details to you as they come my way. If anyone is interested in replying, feel free to contact me directly and will repost here if warranted and if of value.
With all this said, it will be great to some of the OC Android members at this event and they are definitely welcome to check out http://meetup.com/OCP...
- William Estrada