add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Kristjan S.
user 10215611
Irvine, CA
Post #: 1
I am a young PHP developer & have mixed feelings about these freelancing sites. At one side, they seem to be very cost effective. But then, how can any developer make a living in California make a living out of these projects? A decent 1 bedroom apartment rent is about equal to some projects there that require at least two months worth of work. These sites make me feel like my PHP and database skills (amongst many others needed for web development) are inferior to and create less value than McDonalds customer service skills... :^o
A former member
Post #: 4
I must say that I have to agree with you Kristjan.

I've been on both sides of the equation on this. As an entrepreneur looking for developers, getting work done for "cheap" is great, but the graphic-designer-freelancer in me cringes when I see those $15 to $22 an hour posts on oDesk and GaFL. I hate that. It's like we're commodities to be traded like cattle or wheat.

Sure, I know -- it's all about "what the market will bear," but I really think that the "community" does itself a huge disservice when it drives overall rates down -- for what I KNOW is very difficult, exacting work -- using skills that took long, painful hours to learn.

I don't know what the solution is though.