Whereabout in the south bay, will the Halloween party be held?
From: [address removed]
To: [address removed]
Subject: [blackbiz-233] Onyx News October 16, 2008- PLEASE READ- Lots of Important Info
Date: Fri, 17 Oct[masked]:05:24 -0400
Happy Friday! Yeah, I know it's the second email of the day, but I have a few additional time sensitive items that I wanted to share with the group. A big welcome to the new members of the group- be sure to check out the FAQ page
, the calendar
and the messageboard
when you have a chance. Here's some news:Upcoming Parties
- Halloween House Party : As mentioned in the previous Onyx newsletter, Onyx is planning to have a Onyx house party. Onyx member Michael has generously offered to host at his house, which is located in the South Bay. I've added the event to the calendar but I'll tweak it in the next week or so. I'm thinking about having a costume contest and would love if anyone can donate small prizes to the winners. I've also created a thread related to this event here- http://www.meetup.com/onyx-black-professionals/messages/boards/thread/5618593/#[masked]. Please contribute to the thread if you plan on attending or can help with setting up.
And good news to the people interested in attending Sabine's party- I believe that party is set for Saturday, November 1 instead of October 31.
- November 15th Party : Onyx member George E has also graciously offered to host a party at his residence in Union City. The party format will also be a potluck format.
- Fundraiser Element: For both parties, we're requesting a five dollar donation from each attendee (Onyx member + any guests). As indicated in the past newsletter, the main purpose of the donation is to cover the costs of maintaining this website. While the group is free to join, it costs 12 dollars per month to organize groups on meetup (144 per year). So assuming people are interested in attending the parties, we'll cover the costs for this year and next year, which would be really great.
First of all, a big thank you to all the people who attended the first brainstorming meeting last Saturday and to the folks who have emailed me directly about this project. We're still at the information/idea gathering phase, but here's where we're at as far as action items
Register to Vote
- Wiki page: I've create a wiki page for the non-profit planning here- http://onyxcommunity.pbwiki.com/. The point of the wiki is to facilitate collaboration and communication between interest Onyx members. If you would like editing access, please email me directly and I'll add you to the list of contributors.
- Non-profit volunteering tonight/Non-profit bootcamp on Saturday: If you have signed up for the One Brick event tonight (helping set up for the nonprofit bootcamp), I look forward to seeing you. As indicated on the event page, you had to individually sign up on One Brick as a volunteer in order to participate. If you didn't do this, sorry but you will not be able to participate because the event is already full. The reward for assisting in the setup is that we will be able to attend Saturday's non-profit bootcamp event for free.
- Feedback/Suggestions: If you have any feedback or suggestions, please do not hesitate to let us know.
: And finally, here's a public service announcement for the day. Even though Onyx is a non-political group, we encourage everyone to participate in the election. If you are new to this area or have moved locations, it is critical that you register/re-register to vote by October 20
. That's right, next Monday. So, now that it's on your mind, you might as well complete the forms so it's done. Further, if you want to vote as an absentee
, the deadline is today. Information regarding registration is available here
. You can also review neutral information (offering both pro and con argument) about the various propositions on the ballot here
. So please, remind your friends and family about these critical deadlines and encourage your network to vote.
Thanks and have a beautiful day (and weekend)!
Lakeisha and Jeremy
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY
", your message will be sent to everyone
on this mailing list ([address removed]
This message was sent by lakeisha ([address removed]) from Onyx (Bay Area Black Professionals)
To learn more about lakeisha, visit his/her member profile
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click hereMeetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA
Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive. Start uploading now