I hope everyone is well and getting ready for the upcoming Thanksgiving. I'm personally feeling particularly thankful this year. A big welcome to the new members of the group- please be sure to check out the FAQ page
, the calendar
and the messageboard
when you have a chance to get a feel for the group. The goal of the group is to create an avenue for black professionals to connect both professionally and socially. And, thankfully, we've had some success in realizing this goal. Both Jeremy and I believe strongly in having a member-driven
group (meaning that we want our members to plan and host events). So if you have some event that you want to share with the group, please email either Jeremy and me and we'll try to make it happen. Also if you have friends or family that would interested in our group (especially the ones lamenting the lack of black professionals in this area), please spread the word about the group. We have some new events and notes so I thought I'd condense all the announcements in an email. Here goes:
- Thanksgiving Dinner on Thanksgiving Day: It appears to be full already but there is a waitlist.
- Kaye's Birthday celebration on Saturday: This Saturday, Kaye is renting a limo bus to celebrate her birthday. If you're interested in joining her, please email her directly.
- Salsa Night in San Jose: Also on Saturday, some members are going to dance salsa at a studio in San Jose. There's going to be a beginner's class so no worries if you've never danced salsa before.
- First Fridays Holiday Party at the W Hotel in Newark: Join Onyx member Taneh at the next First Fridays event. Tickets are 10 dollars and can be purchased here.
- Career Day Initial Steering Committee Teleconference Dec. 12: Thanks to all the members who emailed me and/or La Toya about this. It's really encouraging. Either La Toya or I will be connecting you shortly about the meeting details. In the meantime, please send La Toya your number if you haven't already done so.
- Fire and Ice: Beginner/Warm Up Ski Day Trip: I posted a thread on this here. The flyer is also attached to this emai. If anyone wants to play event host, I'll add it as an event.
- Cinderella Play Dec. 13: I think the lion's share of the people are going to the sold out 3 pm show but there maybe another group seeing the later show. If you are planning to go but don't have a ticket, I would suggest some coordination with other members.
- Onyx Non-Profit Planning Meeting Dec. 14: The plan is to incorporate in California by the end of the year. If you are interested in participating or just want to learn more about our plans, please attend. It'll probably be in Palo Alto but we'll have Skype set up for people who want to teleconference.
Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.