Alex Barth will be coming into town after State of The Map Tokyo and has offered to lead in introductory technical workshop for both contributing to OpenStreetMap and using the data for other applications.
We will cover:
- Examples of OSM data usage
- Contributing data with JOSM
- Tracing satellite imagery
- Surveying with walking papers and GPS
- Finding answers: navigate the OSM Wiki and other helpful resources
- The OSM community
All you need for attending is a laptop. Bring a two button mouse if you have one.
This workshop is geared towards those who are interested in becoming OpenStreetMap contributors, but haven't worked with OSM a lot or not at all before.
Still, if you're a seasoned mapper please join us. We'll have a side conversation of how to improve the New York City map and grow the city's OSM community. We'll also talk about the new March 7, 2012 license on NYC Open Data that may be compatible with OpenStreetMap.