addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Oxford Movie Fans Meetup Message Board › New Meetup: Wings Of Desire (1987) at the Ultimate Picture Palace - Saturday

New Meetup: Wings Of Desire (1987) at the Ultimate Picture Palace - Saturday 30 July

Richard
user 8923880
Group Organizer
Oxford, GB
Announcing a new Meetup for The Oxford Movie Fans Meetup!

What: Wings Of Desire (1987) at the Ultimate Picture Palace - Saturday 30 July
When: Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:45 PM

Where: The Ultimate Picture Palace
Jeune Street
Oxford

The last weekend in July looks like it will be a good one for films! The classics are coming thick and fast!

Wings of Desire is a 1987 Germa ­n fantasy film directed by Wim Wenders Its original German title is Der Himmel über Berlin, which can be translated as The Heavens over Berlin. The film is about invisible, immortal angels who populate Berlin and listen to the thoughts of humans.

Wings of Desire follows two angels, Damiel and Cassiel, as they roam the city, unseen and unheard by the people, observing and listening to the diverse thoughts of Berliners. Their purpose is, as Cassiel says, to "assemble, testify, preserve" reality. In addition to the story of two angels, the film also is a meditation on Berlin's past, present, and future - this is rendered particularly interesting as the film was made two years before the fall of the Berlin wall.

It has become regarded as a classic and is ranked #64 in Empire­ magazine's "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema" from 2010.

"Part romance, part comedy, part meditation on matters political and philosophical, Wenders' remarkable movie posits a world haunted by invisible angels listening in to our thoughts... few films are so rich, so intriguing, or so ambitious." - Time Out

"For me, the film is like music or a landscape: It clears a space in my mind, and in that space I can consider questions. Some of them are asked in the film: "Why am I me and why not you? Why am I here and why not there? When did time begin and where does space end?" " - Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times

"Wim Wenders returned to Germany in 1986 to create this precious portrait of a divided Berlin just a few years before the Wall fell and it remains a beautiful, literate and romantic piece of cinema." - Empire Magazine

As the UPP is on Cowley Road, we could also have drink or bite to eat afterwards if anyone is interested.

Check it out!